Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • can you get a 36 or 38t outer ring?
  • GeeWavetree
    Free Member

and a 24t middle ring?

njee20
    Free Member

No, Extralite do a 30t middle ring, but you have to file the spider to stop the chain riding on it.

TA do 24t inner rings and 36 and 38t middle rings though if you want to run a double.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

cheers – shimano do a 36/24 combo for under £20 though 🙂

petefromearth

24t is very small – it depends on the pcd of your cranks, but it's likely it'll need to be a granny

if you've got 104pcd (common) then the smallest middle ring you can get is 32t

i've got a few TA rings in various sizes. good quality and last well compared to shimano. i ran a 38t 'middle' with a 28t granny, plus a bash guard. worked nicely, sits right between the normal 22-32-44 setup

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

i am thinking a double with 24/38 is what i need. Wanted an outer so it look better (no bash guard required)

njee20
    Free Member

You won't need a bash guard anyway with a middle ring, I ran 28/40, worked really well. You can't really see the difference between big/middle unless you really look.

Like I said, you can get an Extralite Octaramp 30t 'middle' ring (although it's designed as the inner on a 2×9), but you have to file your spider down. Used to do it, but frankly using TA inner/middle rings gives you a much better chain line, which is half the point.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘can you get a 36 or 38t outer ring?’ is closed to new replies.