Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Can you fit a full bike in a Mondeo MK3 (01-06) Saloon?
  • gmex619
    Free Member

As above guys. I’m looking at changing my car as I need something bigger than my 3 door Rover. My bike does fit in but NOTHING else will. (I have to move front seats forward with both wheels off too even be able to fit that.)

If anyone has any suggestions for me that’d be great.

irc

I have a 2002 Mondeo. My MTB or tourer goes in the back (rear seats folded) with the front wheel off. My drivers seat is back as far as it goes. My MTB is a 21″ frame, tourer 60cm. Small frames might fit without a wheel off.

legend
    Free Member

Do you really mean saloon or do you mean hatchback? My old hatch swallowed my DH bike whole, 2 DH bikes with just one wheel off

globalti
    Free Member

Of course it will fit! All you’ve got to do is remove one or both wheels. It will be safer inside than displayed on the roof or the boot like a trophy.

argoose
    Free Member

Do as my mate does, when he goes to buy a car he takes his rods with to check for fit. If they don’t fit then the car is not fit for purpose .
    So take your bike, with a sheet and cleaned, if it fits go for it

samuri
    Free Member

Yep, I’ve had a large roadbike in the back of one plus plenty of bags. All I had to do was take the front wheel off.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

If it is a hatch (and not a saloon) then they’re massive.

Fold rear seats down. Take front wheel off. Chuck in.

When I go to France I take the pedals and handlebars off too and “stand” the bikes upright with the fork legs in the rear foot wells. This way you get almost an entire loading area for kit and tools etc.

zippykona

Put the rear seat base up. Take out front wheel. Spin your bars round and back your bike into where the passengers would normally sit. Chuck in front wheel shut the door and off you go.
    This works on our mondeo and every car I’ve owned.
    With both wheels out it will fit in the boot if you need all the seats or you need to hide your bike.
    Ps check your mondeo has the heated screen element,it will change your life.

gmex619
    Free Member

It doesnt have a heated front screen. But thats a thing I feel I can live without having never tried it.

It is a saloon. The boot lid doesnt include the rear window.

Not fussed about hiding the bike as my old car isnt big so it goes in the boot and through onto the back seat.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

It should go in easily. My old mk3 hatch swallowed my bike with both wheels removed without having to put seats down or anything. I reckon you could have got another bike in there too.

We’ve comfortably had 3 bikes, 3 people and 3 loads of gear for a weekend away inside a mk3 hatch. Great cars.

I think the saloon has a slightly longer boot so you should easily be able to get a bike in with the wheels off and the back seats up.

gmex619
    Free Member

Think ill ask about a test of boot space with my bike just to be sure.

MrTall
    Free Member

I can get full bikes in the back of mine without removing wheels but only smaller bikes, not my massive 29ers (front wheel off for them).

Up to 18″/19″ 26″ wheeled bikes should be no problem, especially if the front seats aren’t all the way back (mine are).

patriotpro
    Free Member

You could go ‘Thule’ roof-mounted for £200.

If I was you i’d factor this in to my budget and go for that.

gmex619
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of roof mounted bikes. I go around some not amazing areas so it’s a little nerve-racking putting them inside the car, never mind on it. Plus it’s only a 17″ DH bike I’ll be carrying most likely.

Northwind

Mondeos are big, but counterintuitively the boot of the saloon is harder to make use of than the hatch- big capacity, smaller entrance.

Mine is an estate, and superb bike hauler, but it’s a big ol car and a pain to live with sometimes (frinstance, if I go to my local tesco it physically won’t fit in the parking spaces!) But it’s well nailed together, a reasonably nice place to be, and you need a sherpa guide to get from one end of the boot to the other. Mine is a ghia-x so execu-barge and surprisingly all the toys still work at 120000 miles- it’s creaky and rattly but it’s in good shape overall.

I reckon estates make a lot more sense for bike hauling duties though… Focuses tend to cost a wee bit more but the focus estate, especially the mk1 and 1.5, are fab- ridiculously big in the back, and none of the penalty of gigantitude that the mondeo has.

chakaping
    Free Member

it’s a little nerve-racking

Arf arf.

As the others have said, it’s easy peasy if you fold the back seats down.

If you’re looking for a cheap Mondeo with FSH then drop me a line, email in profile.

Selling mine shortly.

zippykona

My neighbour has the old shape mondeo and he fits his large road bike in the boot, so you should be ok.

gmex619
    Free Member

chapaking: Dropped you a e-mail.

I agree about estates making more sense as bike cars but I’m being hit with alot more insurance premium if I went for one. As it stands I’d only be paying 90 more a year on the 1.8 Saloon than my 1.4 Rover.

Northwind

Fair enough- I didn’t notice an increase but then I’m old

legend
    Free Member

gmex619 – Member
    Think ill ask about a test of boot space with my bike just to be sure.

So you don’t believe us all then!?

😉

takisawa2

My Brother in law had a saloon version. Needed both wheels off for 18″ 29er Inbred. Bloody awkward if your going to use the boot for bikes regularly, especially as there are so many hatches about.
    Nice cars, given how cheap they are now, dead cheap to fix. Mine has 170k on the clock. That’s 7 times round the earth you know. 🙂

gmex619
    Free Member

Heh, I trust you guys but I’m getting confused with a few replies as they’re talking about hatchbacks too.

I’ll be probably carrying my bike 1-2 times a fortnight. Maybe more or less, it depends how much I ride.

Northwind: I think age is a factor, I’m 19 with 2 years NCD.

legend
    Free Member

The jist is, forget the saloon and buy one of the millionz of hatchbacks available (or even better, get an estate)

wrightyson
    Free Member

That rover must be small as I picked a mate up the other day (who’d got a flat whilst out on his “never get a puncture” tyres) in a courtesy fiesta. Seats down and it went in no probs!

gmex619
    Free Member

It isn’t big, but then my V10 isn’t small. Both wheels off it goes in with the forks and bars touching the front seats and the rear deraileur about 5cm from the boot lid.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Well as the fusty got the mates hybrid in easily then a focus hatch must be the best option? Cheap and millions of spares knocking about?

legend
    Free Member

Nah, Mondeo > Focus for bike hauling duties. Masses of extra room, more comfy on a long run, and the diesels are still very economical. (I went from a ’53 Mondy to a ’55 Focus, much preferred the Mondeo)

gmex619
    Free Member

I agree with Legend there.

Used a friends Focus for a longish journey (Manc-Essex) and didn’t find it very comfy. Plus it was tight with all the stuff in the car and 4 people.

I’m going too see how easily my V10 will fit in the saloon. Don’t mind dumping it on the back seat. If it’s difficult I’ll look for a hatch. But provided I can get it in the door I know there’s enough boot space.

Might even be able to get it in through the boot lid space if I move it right or take pedals off. I carry enough tools and spare parts too work on 5 bikes easy.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Can you fit a full bike in a Mondeo MK3 (01-06) Saloon?’ is closed to new replies.