Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • can you fir four Thule 591 racks on a 1M wide roof bar?
  • mosschops
    Free Member

I’ve go the Whispbar flush model fitted to the roof of my Smax currently 3 Thule 591s on there. Will I be bale to fix another one? Anyone fitted 4 in around 1M of space

thanks!

MC

wwpaddler
    Free Member

I’ve had 4 591’s on but it’s taken the full 120cm width of the square bars I’ve got.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Three maybe, it’d be a jam to then put bikes on are you planning to remove the pedals, in theory the frames can be moved forward or backwards to allow room for the handlebars at either end.

sgn23
    Free Member

Watch you don’t exceed the maximum roof load for the Smax. The Mondeo is only 75kg. 4x 591 racks and bars are about 22kg plus 4 mountain bikes at 15kg ish and you’re over the limit. There’s probably some safety tolerance in the 75kg (allowing for autobahn speeds?), but you don’t want that lot coming off the roof at 90 on the motorway!

BillOddie

I have had 4 on a Focus Estate but they were carrying 2 full size bikes and 2 small/light Islabikes. I also had to have Islabikes nested forward and back to get them to fit easily.

shifter
    Free Member

[/url]Loaded by woldspinner, on Flickr[/img]

Not the best view but that’s four on 118cm bars on an Astra. If you spin all the bars 45 degrees I reckon it’ll work.
    You could always do a dry run on the ground before putting them on the roof.

Edit – pedals were off in the pic above, easier for a long trip.

DickBarton

Yes, it is possible…but the racks need to go head-to-toe…weight o rack and bikes needs to be factored in. I’ve had 4 bikes on the roof of an S-Max a few times…all adult bikes but there is very little room left for spaces between the handlebars. Unsure about the ‘new’ wider bars on bikes these days, but it should be possible – you might need to rejig the position of the racks so they have more space for the bars so they don’t hit each other.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘can you fir four Thule 591 racks on a 1M wide roof bar?’ is closed to new replies.