Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Can you drill a cable sized hole in an alu frame without compromising it?
  • drunkenmonkey
    Free Member

Just pondering really.

I’ve seen the stealth reverb seatpost as well as KS’s internally routed i900. Obviously for those of us without brand new bikes these types of seatpost aren’t going to be an option. So if I drill a cable outer sized hole in my down tube or one in the seat-tube, low down, how compromised is the frame likely to be? Are we talking sudden epic failure of frame, cracking around the hole or no problems at all.

I’m not about to get a drill out but was wondering…

tollah
    Free Member

I wouldn’t!

clubber
    Free Member

me neither. it might be fine. it might not. depends so much on the frame, location, size, how you ride, etc that it’s impossible to say.

clubber
    Free Member

though thinking about it further, it’s basically a bottle cage sized hole and frames seem OK with them…

kevj
    Free Member

Depends on where you drill through really. If I was considering this, I would also consider welding a plate over first, drill through with an oversized drill bit then have this seam welded so that you don’t reduce section size.

drunkenmonkey
    Free Member

I’m not going to do it but was wondering for those of us that might consider attempting to retro fit an internally cable routed hydraulic seatpost what the options would be. Sounds like there may bot be any!

wwaswas

If you’ve got a seat tube bottle boss then it might be wort a try, I suppose?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Can you drill a cable sized hole in an alu frame without compromising it?’ is closed to new replies.