Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • can you divert calls from landline to mobile?
  • sadexpunk

we have a landline number as part of our virginmedia package but never use it. just brought in an old phone from work to test it and it does work, but we just dont want a phone/answerphone in the house.
    wifes looking at putting out some work flyers and prefers a landline number on them.

is there a way of setting up some sort of call divert that sends all incoming landline calls to her mobile? if not we’ll just have to buy a new phone with an answerphone or something.

had a google but nothings obvious. we’re on three if that matters.

thanks

Smudger666

I assume you’ve spoken to virgin – if they can’t help then I’ll say not.

Obviously, if you haven’t, this is probably the easiest place to ask.

Smudger666

not worth saying twice

Cougar

Assuming you can, bear in mind that you’ll probably be charged for the call outbound from your landline. You’ll want an any-time talk plan to avoid racking up a big bill. (I once did this with my home mobile, redirecting to work, a few years ago and got a shock when the monthly bill came in.)

I wouldn’t bother, myself. Landlines are so 20th Century.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Almost certainly can divert from a technical point of view as operators do it all the time when landlines go down to offer a free divert to a mobile until it’s fixed.

Anyway, fees will be involved where it’s not done for fault purposes.

In fact – http://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/dotcom/images/shop/downloads/010716_Everyday_Call_Charges.pdf

Monthly fee plus a charge for the divert part of the call apparently.

Cougar – Moderator 
    I wouldn’t bother, myself. Landlines are so 20th Century.

Personally I’d stick with the landline and forget the divert. Forwarding decent quality call to shitty quality mobile. Though we’ve had this discussion before 😀

Alternative is no landline (which you can do with Virgin, assuming it’s a cable install), and get a geographic number for the flyers and get that tied into a forwarding service or a VoIP service. In fact, Skype offer geographic numbers. Get one of those and install Skype on phone. Though the area codes seem to be limited.

Or if keeping the landline, some operators have an option to send you a text to your mobile when you get a voicemail. BT at least do that as my folk’s have that set up.

sadexpunk

yeah, spoke to virgin this morning and as you say, theres a monthly cost plus a ‘per call’ cost. no way would i be happy paying for PPI or accident claim calls so for that reason ahm oot.

Alternative is no landline (which you can do with Virgin, assuming it’s a cable install), and get a geographic number for the flyers and get that tied into a forwarding service or a VoIP service.

i dont understand any of that sorry, but sounds complicated so we’ll buy a new phone, stick with the landline number and get voicemail set up.

thanks a lot

scotroutes

Depending not what the business is, you’ll find that many folk still prefer a local area code in the event you are calling them back.

deadkenny
    Free Member

sadexpunk – Member 
    i dont understand any of that sorry, but sounds complicated so we’ll buy a new phone, stick with the landline number and get voicemail set up.

Simple option – https://www.skype.com/en/features/online-number/

Though as I say, the choices of area codes for geographic numbers is limited in UK. Nearest for me would be a London number.

Basically anyone who calls the number will get through to the Skype app on your phone.

There are many other similar services. It’s basically a virtual number that gets forwarded to either an app on the phone or to an actual mobile number.

Another option – https://www.ereceptionist.co.uk/phone-number

These will cost money of course.

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

I’ve jsut signed up with Tamar communications.

4.99 a month for a local landline number with calls forwarded to my mobile.

They do two packs, $34.99 with 1000 free minutes farwarded, or £9.99 for unlimited.

I’m not going to need more then a 1000 minutes. so £5 a month sounds reasonable.

Good selection of numbers.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘can you divert calls from landline to mobile?’ is closed to new replies.