Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Can you convert titanium BB from english to Italian?
  • Fantombiker

I bought a road titanium frame on ebay. The bottom brackets are really loose. I have tried PTFE tape, and loctite….not really worked. I thought about getting a LBS to chase the threads from english to Italian threads…can this be done?…Cheers

andrewh
    Free Member

Can’t see why not, Italian is very slighthly bigger than English.
    I’m selling an Italian Dura-Ace octalink BB, £20 posted 🙂

jim25

I don’t think so, I thought italian threads were left hand threads on both sides of the frame, rather than 1 side left 1 side right.
    Might well be wrong tho.

Andy

Yeah possibly BSA is 34.8mm and Italian is 36mm

trail_rat
    Free Member

Speak to argos cycles – see if they have the toolingto machine the ti and insert a new sleeve thread.

Certainly wouldnt be trying to carry out inserting an italian thread into a ti frame with my bb taps…..blunt city

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yes in theory it can be done.
    This is because Italian threads are slightly larger then English threads (as mentioned above) but personally I’d avoid it at all costs as Italian thread is the same thread both sides rather than one left hand and one it hand thread. It’s inferior basically.
    I’d try a good frame builder like Enigma who work with titanium and see what they suggest first.

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

My mate had a Ciocc with an italian bb and during it’s debut 50 miler he needed to stop every 10miles to finger tighten the loosened BB. Upon researching things a red loctite was procured and the BB was refitted using this and the problem went away. His Ciocc was not titanium though.

tonyg2003

“Fondly remembers an Italian BB unscrewing in the middle of the Breacon Beacons”.

Talk to a good Ti frame builder about a new BB I think.

orangeboy
    Free Member

The width is also different 70 mm shell width for itl shells
    It’s really a job for a proper frame builder and not somthing to be done wrong

cynic-al
    Free Member

Get it looked at by a devent mechanic and ignore most of the above.

Eg…how.do.you convert your 68mm shell to 70?

andrewh
    Free Member

Eg…how.do.you convert your 68mm shell to 70?

73 to 70 is easier. Is yours 68 or 73 OP?

cynic-al
    Free Member

How would 68 – 70 even be viable?

Its a road bike…

orangeboy
    Free Member

On a different angel for a brodge you maybe be able to press in a bearing like in a bb30 setup
    There is very little sideways force they just need to be a tight for in the shell

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Can you convert titanium BB from english to Italian?’ is closed to new replies.