Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • can you compress a liquid??
  • daftvader
    Free Member

evening….

mrs vader says that you cant compress a liquid, hence their use in hydraulics, i say you can… who is right (and yes i know i am in the wrong just for being a bloke 😉 )

cheers

DickBarton

MrsVader is – you can’t compress liquid…

spooky_b329

You’re wrong 🙂

jemima
    Free Member

Liquids are generally regarded as incompressible but they do compress a ‘tiny’ little bit. So you’re both right…

scaredypants

she’s right

you’re correct, technically, but even without bringing gender and marital politics into it, you’re wrong

danielgroves
    Free Member

You can, but no where near as much as a gas. It’s much harder to compress a liquid, which is why it is used in hydraulics.

Karl33to
    Free Member

Both of you are right.
    From a scientific perspective you can compress just about anything.
    But it’s easier when talking hydraulics to ignore the compression as it’s a very small amount.

crazy-legs

Technically yes (that’s how sound and pressure waves exist) but you need so much force to compress liquid by even a tiny amount that they’re effectively considered as incompressible.

john_drummer
    Free Member

some liquids are more compressable than others.

otherwise we’d use water in our hydraulic disc brakes rather than (relatively) expensive brake fluid

euain

If you want to be pedantic, then yes it does compress (as will a solid). Nothing like as much as a gas and for things like hydraulic brakes etc, it’s as near incompressible as makes no difference. But you could force the point and win the argument.

singlespeedstu

I can’t compress liquid but i can turn eight pints of ale into eleven pints of piss.So it seems you can expand a liquid even if you can’t
    compress it.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

we’d use water in our hydraulic disc brakes

and when youve gone 20 secs DH you can stop and make a brew with the boiling water

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yes you can compress a liquid, it’s just not very compressible.
    It’s also slightly confused by it’s ‘compressibility’ being somewhat dependent on the context. So for instance in fluid mechanics it’s a reasonable assertion to say that it’s incompressible but not so in say physics.

If you want to mess with her mind though – rubber with a poisson’s ratio of 0.5 is also incompressible.

dannybgoode

The compressibility(?) of water is not really what makes it not suitable for brake fluid, more its other properties such as its boiling point.

Having your fluid turn to steam under heavy braking would not be particularly desirable.

daftvader
    Free Member

she has agreed that i am right…… i am so in trouble now…..

IanMunro
    Free Member

😀

euain

Start an argument about how much gravity there is in the space station – that’s always good for some physics confusion in my house 🙂

daftvader
    Free Member

now it comes to light… mrs vader studied fluid mechanics as part of her MEng….and not physics… so we are both right…

john_drummer
    Free Member

Having your fluid turn to steam under heavy braking would not be particularly desirable

fair point & perhaps water was a bad example, but you get the idea

porter_jamie

Put some water in her brake fluid and ask her again.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Having your fluid turn to steam under heavy braking would not be particularly desirable.

How would it turn to steam in a sealed system ?

slackman99
    Free Member

I used to run water in my Magura HS33’s back in my trials days. Made for a much lighter lever pull, but with trials,not need to worry about speed and boiling fluid. Didn’t feel any more compressible than the oil it replaced!

woody21
    Free Member

What about diesel, when it compresses doesn’t it turn into a gas?

euain

It would get hot! At some point it could well be hot enough to turn to steam… The temperature this happens at depends on pressure but you could well get bubbles of steam in your brakes.

paladin

woody21 – Member

If you’re talking about in an engine, then it atomises into small liquid droplets

woody21
    Free Member

I was – never sure exactly what happens in the engine

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It doesn’t need to be a vented system to create steam. It’s how a steam engine works. It’s steam, but at a tremendously high pressure.

Olly
    Free Member

i boiled some C2s once. They worked fine until i let off the lever pressure slightly (as the made steep descent got less mad steep) and both wheels locked. Had to wait a 15 mins before i could turn the wheels.

compression of any gas creates heat, in diesel it is enough heat to ignite the fuel mix.

footflaps

Pour some brake fluid into a black hole and it will compress very nicely by a ratio of a few million or more…

paladin

cheekyboy – Member

If its a sealed system, why does everyone on stw seem to be periodically bleeding their brakes? :mrgreen:

TheBrick
    Free Member

You’re correct.

TheBrick
    Free Member

No. Compress it enough and it turns into solid. (given a constant temprature)

clubber
    Free Member

If its a sealed system, why does everyone on stw
    seem to be periodically bleeding their brakes?

It’s only really sealed when the brake is on…

parkesie
    Free Member

Diesel is atomised before the compression bit in a engine.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The diesel is not compressed. The air around it is compressed, heats up and burns the fuel.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘can you compress a liquid??’ is closed to new replies.