Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Can you buy shimano xt brake hose by the meter ?
  • fozworth
    Free Member

I’ve just had to send back a set of TRP disc brakes as the rear hose was to short and the brakes don’t accept any other hose other than there own which is to short. So I’m thinking of buying a set of shimano xt m785 brakes and wondered if it’s possible to buy longer hose lengths for these brakes . I need 1900mm

coatesy
    Free Member

It’s available to shops from Madison in 10m lengths, and retails at £10 per metre. Unfortunately,given the trade price they’ll pay is far in excess of the cost of your 2m length, they may not want to order any unless they have a use for it in their workshop. Might be worth checking Hope’s hose instead(as none of their brakes use crimped ends, it’s more likely to be useful in the workshop),and at £4.44 per metre they’ll be less out of pocket too. Part no.s if needed are 130 9839 for Shimano BH59 or 63, Y13098580 for Shimano BH90 (spaces in the code are important), and HBSP172 for Hope 5mm.

fozworth
    Free Member

Hi cheers guys ,this link shows the hose only fitting models upto 2009 ? The brakes I’m interested in are 2013 xt models .guess I might have to call a bikes shop

jeffl

Most towns will have a hydraulic hose supplier. I’ve used them in the past for making custom length brake hoses for cars. They may be able to sort you out something for you. Probably worth taking the existing hose in so they can ensure the correct fittings are used.

coatesy
    Free Member

Sorry, slightly mis-read the original post. You may have problems with hose off the reel with M785 brakes, as you’ll need to source a banjo fitting that’ll work with the calipers, Shimano crimp theirs on, so it won’t be re-usable.

fozworth
    Free Member

I recon I’m going to have to buy yet another set of hopes then ,geeese ! I thought I’d be able to lengthen another make of brake other than hope in this current market .

Drac

Ah sorry missed they were for the older ones. You’ll be able to get those hose easy enough I’d have thought.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Try asking a tandem suppier

belugabob
    Free Member

Not by the metre, but should be long enough

And,as predicted, tandem suppliers to the rescue

It does seem overly expensive, though, when you can buy a complete brake (hose, caliper & lever) for £35 – £17 for the equivalent hose 😯

timbur
    Free Member

Bite the bullet and fit Goodridge?

oldnick

I had the same question yesterday, bought a shimano kit.

For me it was to fit to 775 brakes (olive and barb) and 2m is listed on the packet, so a banjo equipped shimano kit exists? My 1.7m kit was £15 from a LBS BTW.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Methinks bike-discount still sell it in bulk.

belugabob
    Free Member

Yup – bike-discount sell it in 10 metre lengths.
    Might not be quite as convenient as buying the exact number of metres yiu want, butjust a little over half the price per metre of the tandem place.
    Mostly depends on whether you’ll use 10 metres in your lifetime or not.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Had a quick search at bikediscounts website and they sell bh-90 in a variety of lengths, white and black.

ticsmon

Get 10m and sell the rest on here

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

On reflection…

I would probly avoid the xt785 brakes, as the callipers on my set leaked.

Many users will beg to differ, but I wouldn’t go near them again.

In an ideal world I would plump for deore/ slx or even Saint and get your lbs to fit and bleed the hoses to your specifications…it might not be as expensive as you think.

Whereas if you went DIY, you would probably have to buy a fair amount of mineral oil and a bleed kit.

Best of luck 😕

timbur
    Free Member

20ml of fluid at most I’d guess. Not. Great deal when LHM fluid from halfrauds is £9 a litre!

timbur
    Free Member

Oh, epic bleed solutions for a bleed kits and fluid. It’s not tricky.
    I could prob do you a set of Goodridge hoses in silver or carbon if you like?
    Email me and I’ll check my spares.
    Tim

fozworth
    Free Member

Hi tim just emailed you carbon would be preferred colour cheers ja

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve got a roll of it in my workshop, so I can sell it by the metre if you’re anywhere near Moores Cycles in Isleworth. Dunno about the calliper-end fittings though!

fozworth
    Free Member

Cheers I’ll see if tim comes back with the goods if not I’ll see if it’s poss to fit a correct banjo on the end of a length of hose thanks

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Can you buy shimano xt brake hose by the meter ?’ is closed to new replies.