Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • Can we stop with this gnarmac nonsense please
  • motorman
    Free Member

Really?

psycorp
    Free Member

I quite like it………. and I don’t even own one.

firestarter
    Free Member

I guess its only as silly as calling a bike a mountain bike then pottering about in the woods in Surrey

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No.

stumpy01

psycorp – Member

I quite like it………. and I don’t even own one.

+1.

fasthaggis

OP

Is your sense of humerus still broken?

or

Is it just a slow day in the sales division ?

😛

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m restoring my Super Dalesman, finally after 30 years it’ll be on trend!

zippykona

I guess its only as silly as calling a bike a mountain bike then pottering about in the woods in Surrey

I’ll have you know that I officially ride a Countryside Bicycle.
    Put that in your pipe…
    The term Gnarmac is a bit like being a hard core Annie Lennox fan.

firestarter
    Free Member

😉

firestarter
    Free Member

😉

scandal42
    Free Member

The term Gnarmac is a bit like being a hard core Annie Lennox fan.

Fleetwood Mac surely

Lazymike
    Free Member

Ha Ha. Fleetwood Mac. I like what you did there.

I must admit I don’t even know what gnarmac means. I generally ignore posts with it in the title.

matt_outandabout

Just you wait, I bet EnduroCross is with us by the spring…

zippykona

Don’t forget Mountain Cross predates Gnarmac by at least 3 years.
    o

bigrich

makes me want a caramac

TheBrick
    Free Member

what about kriskross?

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I agree. I’m after a GT Grade which is enduroad rather than gnarmac. A world of difference.

bikebouy
    Free Member

fasthaggis – Member
    OP

Is your sense of humerus still broken?

or

Is it just a slow day in the sales division ?

This.. 😛

matt_outandabout

enduroad

Suggsey
    Free Member

So is it just a term for being under biked? Or is it just a term for bikes being ridden where you’re more likely to pinch puncture or look at a rough trail and think bugger, if only I had a 29er MTB? 😆
    I’m lucky not to have to have a gnarmac bike as I have one of everything else 😆

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I think its a humorous not-taking-ourselves-seriously response to the industry using terms like adventure, enduroad, allroad etc. It is a genuine enough niche to need a reference – they’re not as racy angled as CX bikes, have far more tyre clearance, slacker angles and (usually) disc brakes compared to road bikes, so what would YOU call them?

People have mocked the industry term Enduro for the latest MTB fashion, I remember ~20 years ago when “freeride” became a Thing and people sneered at the term “what, as opposed to paying to ride?!”.

Would you prefer to see threads with “which big clearance slack angled disc braked not quite a CX bike for £1000?”

fasthaggis

I’ll have you know that I officially ride a Countryside Bicycle.

Zipper ,I think you mean an

ATB

😉

munrobiker
    Free Member

Wasn’t gnarmac a term invented on here as a joke? So wot crashtestmonkey says.

munrobiker
    Free Member

MTB would, officially, be fine too. Multi terrain, innit.

fasthaggis

We had out drive re-surfaced by a lad that rides a FATbike.
    Yup,you’ve guessed it, his name was gnarmacadam.

🙂

TheBrick
    Free Member

What about sickmac as an alternative?

franki
    Free Member

I think its a humorous not-taking-ourselves-seriously response to the industry using terms like adventure, enduroad, allroad etc.

This. ^ 🙂

kerley
    Free Member

The industry term is Gravel bike so what not just use that?

Larger clearances than a road bike, smaller than a CX bike (generally)
    BB height more like a road bike
    Disc brakes

I did mention in another thread that there really isn’t much difference between any of these when actually riding them on hard packed gravel/dirt but just got some narrow minded responses…

jamiep
    Free Member

But the point is that there are multiple terms in addition to the ‘industry term’ ‘gravel bike’.

‘Gnarmac’ is the gravel counterpoint to ‘gnarpoon’

miketually
    Free Member

But gravel bikes are for riding gravel roads, and we don’t really have those over here. And, because the industry term is gravel bike.

cookeaa

I do quite like the ambiguity TBH, an ill defined niche is bound to lead to lots of confusion and that is always fun, just like when someone tells me they’re into mountain biking, covers a multitude of activities now.

My roadie mate looked at it and called it a CX bike, a work colleague referred to it as a “Road bike for tow paths”, I’ve called it a “Gravel bike” but it’s been on other surfaces and hasn’t spontaneously combusted and I’m keen to use it for a a dabble with CX racing, and maybe some touring/bikepacking…

If “Gnarmac” floats your boat then go with it, not my own preferred term (not sure what is TBH) but I see the humour…

Maybe just call it a “Bike” and leave it there…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

some narrow minded responses

Chillax bro’

But gravel bikes are for riding gravel roads, and we don’t really have those over here. And, because the industry term is gravel bike.

+1

Gravel bikes are for racing on gravel roads, USFS roads etc. A bit like fire roads are in the UK, except you’d struggle to hold a crit in most UK forests, and the Yanks do them over hundreds of miles.

They are not because your “roads round here are so bad………..”. That’s a pothole, use your eyes, look up and ride around it. What you have bought is what used to be a touring bike, then became a CX bike, and is now an enduroad/gnarmac/adventure bike. A road bike on 23mm slicks will happily deal with the Paris-Roubaix, your cul-de-sac is not the Koppenberg.

I’ve no issue with them, I just like to mock peoples reluctance to admit that they’re buying a touring bike.

jekkyl

I didn’t take the term to mean cx rides/bikes directly but rather a type of riding: riding urban environments (tarmac) with a bit of gnar, i.e. getting some enjoyment by simply cycling anywhere, whether that be off-road in the woods, down the canal, along the street, and injecting a bit of gnar…. jumping off curbs, track standing at traffic lights, beating cars off the line & (one of my favourites) riding as fast as you possibly can down urban hills…. all this on whatever bike you are riding.

chip
    Free Member

I have a towpoon an bridleslayer Does that count.

ahwiles
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

That’s a pothole, use your eyes, look up and ride around it.

must be nice to live/ride somewhere where potholes are single, rare, avoidable entities.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

The industry term is Gravel bike so what not just use that

+1 mikectually

because that’s the industry term for the US market, where gravel roads are a real and expansive phenomena (especially in Colorado for instance- think Pikes Peak hill climb, or some of the US Pro Challenge stages), and there is no direct equivalent here.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I sort of agree with TINAS- I have one, I ride it on actual genuine off road so feel it’s justified. But using one as just a road bike a) is making life difficult for yourself b) horrid and c) daft.

shermer75
    Free Member

Does that make my commuter a hypoon?

cookeaa

…bridleslayer…

YES!!!

chakaping
    Free Member

“Bridleslayer” is waaaaay better than gnarmac.

😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Can we stop with this gnarmac nonsense please’ is closed to new replies.