Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Can we handle yet another dropper thread? I hope so.
  • JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I had a demo ride on a Covert at the weekend (lovely bike, but maybe too big for UK riding?!). The bike was fitted with a KS dropper. I’ve never used one before but like a lot of people, have been watching the reviews and user feedback closely. I loved it, and they do a skinny one to suit my HT!
    Please share your experiences.
    A friend of mine has recently bought the Gravity Dropper which seems good and nice and easy to strip down in the shed (though I have not had to do it yet). I would prefer one that has more than 2 positions and the KS doesn’t look too expensive.

get back to work.

shorts_in_winter
    Free Member

Sorry for the hijack but does anyone know where I could get a 27.2mm KS post and a remote, none of the big guys have stock….

Oh and would need to post to Oz!

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

It looks as though everyone is out of stock until later this month.

No, but if you get one let us know how you get on. Then you will be forgiven for the hijack.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I am waiting to see if the giant one will come in different sizes.. its about £150 too.

shorts_in_winter
    Free Member

Will do….. And I can even offer a comparison to the reverb on my full sus…. 🙂

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

As above, KS droppers. Will they die a horrible and early death? Or will I be sitting pretty?

Northwind

Mine is doing well… Had a nightmare with it at first, it didn’t work from new. They said service it- so I did, didn’t change it at all, they said send it back, then said “You broke it when you serviced it. Yes, your servicing (following our instructions) travelled back in time and broke the post before you received it. But we’ve fixed it now”. And yet it was exactly the same as it was in the first place.

But finally, it got properly rebuilt and since then it’s been ace. Serviced it once since, after a year, and no sign of wear at all, very little dirt inside it despite being used in horrible conditions- the seals are excellent, which surprised me slightly.

YMMV though of course.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Thanks Northwind.
    Would you put your initial experience down to bad luck or do they have a reputation faulty assembly?
    I guess the proof is in the riding so if it has been running well for a year or so that is a better testament than receiving a possible Friday afternoon build initially.

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member
    Mine is doing well… Had a nightmare with it at first, it didn’t work from new. They said service it- so I did, didn’t change it at all, they said send it back, then said “You broke it when you serviced it. Yes, your servicing (following our instructions) travelled back in time and broke the post before you received it. But we’ve fixed it now”. And yet it was exactly the same as it was in the first place.

But finally, it got properly rebuilt and since then it’s been ace. Serviced it once since, after a year, and no sign of wear at all, very little dirt inside it despite being used in horrible conditions- the seals are excellent, which surprised me slightly.

YMMV though of course.

That’s been my experience too, bar the initial not working problem. No issues, well sealed, works perfectly. Only hassle has been a sticky cable, tried squirting a bit of oil in it, was still sticky, bought new inners and outers to replace the cable, but it started working perfectly again before I got around to doing it.

mttm
    Free Member

I have two i950 posts. One has been faultless since new, the other developed a fault with the damping cartridge. This was dealt with quickly and well (post fixed, all postage costs refunded etc) so I’m quite happy. The fact I have two of these should be a good indication that I rather like them! I had Joplins before, and much prefer the i950 – it has a more solid feel to it, zero slop and when you lift the bike by the saddle the post doesn’t extend! I had no idea how much this annoyed me until it wasn’t there any more…

timmys

My non-remote KS i900 has been flawless for 2 years with no servicing and minimal worry about keeping it clean.

I’ve recently swapped it for a remote version and the remote mechanism definitely makes the setup require more faffing about. Whether I’ve not got it quite set up right or it is a lot more sensitive to dirt I’m not quite sure of yet. The post itself is just as sturdy, it’s simply getting the lever to operate when you want, and not when you don’t via the cable that I’m finding a bit tricksy.

duir
    Free Member

My latest generation gravity dropper has the usual slight play and is revolting to look at…….but it works. It just keeps soldiering on no matter how muddy or wet or cold it get’s. It’s silly easy to service yourself and ridiculously simple considering the rip off price. The play is actually only noticeable when stood next to the bike and fiddling with it. The latest GDs have 3 internal shims and are available in big sizes/drops. Another person I know has a Rock Shox Reverb and it looks fantastic but unfortunately they have had nothing but bother with it. So I guess for me the ugly reliable girlfriend wins over the mental stunner…………for now!

khani
    Free Member

Try an xfusion one, they do a 27.2 version, actionsports.de have em for a good price
    I had a ks i7r, it too was broke from new and too short as they’re only 350mm long from saddle rail clamp to the bottom, had it repaired under warranty, sold it and got an xfusion one that’s been great,

Northwind

Aye, should have said, my Gravity Dropper has been less bother than the KS. Both very good kit but the GD is lighter and so easy to look after. Serviced it once, it didn’t seem to need it really. Takes a lot of neglect to kill the internals (like my mate, who apparently shoveled gravel into his)

Jef Wachowchow – Member

Would you put your initial experience down to bad luck or do they have a reputation faulty assembly?

Quite a lot of people have reported having to get them rebuilt once from new… Though I’m never sure if that’s because of old stock of the frankly poor earlier models.

Most of my problems were down to everyone’s favourite octopus-based internet sales company tbh.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Thank you all for your comments. I may well go for the KS option then but get it ordered into an LBS so I can make sure it works before I leave the premises.

10pmix
    Free Member

My KS died after about a dozen rides and now resides in dropper heaven (in a box of junk in the garage). Never liked it anyway…

timmys

I may well go for the KS option then but get it ordered into an LBS so I can make sure it works before I leave the premises.

Bare in mind they don’t like to work if they’ve been sat on their side for a while. They need to be stood vertical for a bit to work as intended.

Northwind

10pmix – Member

My KS died after about a dozen rides and now resides in dropper heaven (in a box of junk in the garage)

You see quite a lot of comments like this in dropper threads and I just think obvious warranty job on an expensive item, what the hell?

ilv10
    Free Member

Had my Ks I950 for 5 weeks not ridden much but like the fellow member MTTM my cartridge has went under warranty so its going back.

When it worked it was a really good piece of kit worked smoothly enough.I would have went for the remote as the lever can be a bit fiddlely.

I found the dropper post works well when the track go’s up and down a lot like the cross country at A other an that I would have to say I don’t use my one a lot.

My mate also rides the same stuff and he never drops his saddle the choice is yours.

swiftyx2
    Free Member

Had my Reverb since August so far faultless, best thing I have brought for bike since disc brakes….!!!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Can we handle yet another dropper thread? I hope so.’ is closed to new replies.