Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Can someone recommend a compressor for bike tyres
  • camerone
    Free Member

to assist seating tubeless. failed last night to get a bonty TLR tyre to inflate with track pump, so need a compressor with Presta valve attachment

Any recommendations?

ahwiles
    Free Member

make your own for 9p*.

there’s a thread on here telling you how.

(use a 2litre coke bottle and some old inner-tube valves)

(*or however much the thread title claimed)

camerone
    Free Member

just seen that, will give it a go…

amsterdan
    Free Member

camerone hows the 700 lumen joystick working out trout has mine and is waiting for a review of you before doing any more

camerone
    Free Member

I put a brief one ride review on the 700 lumen joystick thread afew days ago. in a nutshell impressed but need more riding time to assess properly and learn how to deal with burn times.

drookitmunter
    Free Member

just seen that, will give it a go…

Interested to hear how you get on with that. Sounds like a faff. I’ve had to use CO2 on some tyre/rim combinations but they’re a bit expensive

nixie

Actually works really well.

I did mine slightly differently, used a t piece and 1 way valve meant for car washer jets. One part of t goes to bottle, another to pump (via 1 way valve so pump end can only fill). 3rd end goes to wheel. To make it better I’m going to get a switch vale for the wheel side so I don’t have to bend the tube (this doesn’t work too well) or clamp it in the vice.

smudge
    Free Member

Coke bottle for me too. use a pop bottle rather than squash as its stronger plastic. I also wrapped it in Gaffa tape just to be sure! It is a bit daunting pumping it up for the first time, 10, 20, 30,40 and then 50 psi

Cheap as chips and does work, I do need to improve it like Nixie is doing though.

What I found was new Tyres its not needed, only when theyve been used and taken off and then put back on.

nixie

pop bottle rather than squash as its stronger plastic.

Its the lid thats the issue more I think. I made some ginger beer in a 3l squash bottle and the lid was blown clean off in a day (very messy). I had some in the pop bottle for 6 months, lid was still on but bottle was showing stress marks.

I’ve had my tyre inflater to 100psi.

amsterdan
    Free Member

im going tubeless for the first time managed to seat both tyres with a joe blow pump guess i got lucky 😆

gingerss
    Free Member

+1 Pop bottle method. Cost me 17p from asda, and what happened to 3l pop bottles?

I managed 120psi, but after that air started escaping from where I’d fitted the valve.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Its the lid thats the issue more I think.

nope, i’ve exploded ‘squash’ bottles – they do go ‘bang’ quite easily…

what happened to 3l pop bottles?

they’re now full of cider.

votchy
    Free Member

Another vote for the coke bottle inflator, made mine on friday using 2 spare stans valves that I had, length of car screen washer hose and use a set of molgrips to kink hose, inflate bottle to 60psi, flick the molgrips open and whoosh, on goes the tyre 😀

smudge
    Free Member

Amsterdam, new tyres are no problem I found. Its when theyve been used and stretched slightly thats when theyre a bugger to re-seal.

😯 I thought I was risking it at 50 psi

gingerss
    Free Member

I thought I was risking it at 50 psi

I was armed with ear plugs and safety specs. Given the ‘ghetto’ nature of the solution it’s been suggested that the bottle is wrapped in something such as the leg of an old pair of jeans. Not sure how dangerous a pop bottle could be, but I didn’t want to find out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Can someone recommend a compressor for bike tyres’ is closed to new replies.