Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Can someone please tell me why anyone would buy a Trek bike?
  • swright
    Free Member

I mean it is no Orange five after all.

mjsmke

Can you tell me why anyone shouldnt?

druidh
    Free Member

Welcome to the Bike forum.

Popocatapetl

In one word “Warranty” 😀

mrmo
    Free Member

why would anyone buy an Orange Five, the last good bike Orange made was the Vit T.

SaxonRider

I began with GTs before buying a trek more than 10 years ago. I have since had either Treks or Gary Fishers, and I love them. I know many of you don’t like VWs so the following analogy won’t be very convincing, but I think of Trek as the VW of bikes. They just do what they say on the tin, and that for a good long time.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Never seen one that I like…

muggomagic

Aaron Gwin only rides one cos he’s paid to. If he had a choice he’d have one of them orange bikes.

tazzymtb

cos this looks ace

and this is betterer than a halifax filing cabinet

nice troll though!

druidh
    Free Member

Nice..

swright
    Free Member

Orange make heaps of good bikes least of all the 5. Actually the warranty isn’t that good with the Treks? and the reps at Trek have no idea what they are actually talking about.

swright
    Free Member

Please give me this any day of the week. http://gp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb5466032/p4pb5466032.jpg

Orange 5 actually won trail bike of the year 😉

andybloomer
    Free Member

1 year out of a top fuel 9.8. Slight fault noticed in BB the first time I came to replace it, replaced frame and swing arm no questions and upgraded me to a 9.9 for my troubles.

So, yes, I’ll be buying another one next time

tazzymtb

and ladies like this ride trek

whereas things like this ride orange

swright
    Free Member

Giant would of done that no questions asked. Like most brands now. Still not convinced, trying to get past the marketing bullshit they feed everybody!

ahwiles
    Free Member

Giant would of HAVE done that

I was just watching this thread unfold, i felt no need to contribute, but then you went and upset my inner spelling/grammar nazi.

so you get one of these:

you’ll be pleased to hear that i am getting the help i require.

jimw
    Free Member

As I have stated many times here, from personal experience I know that theTrek warranty is actually very good indeed , don’t really know where you may have heard differently?

I have a 5 and a Trek EX9, each are excellent bikes but with very different ‘characters’. The Trek gets used for events as it is an excellent compromise between climbing ability, fun downhill and general ‘chuckability’. The 5 I have is used for days out at trail centres and in the Alps and when I want a laugh, not quite so good uphill, mostly because it weighs a few pounds more, but is a grin machine everywhere else.

Have you actually tried either?

druidh
    Free Member

Mehinks the OP has a story he’d like to share with us 😉

mrmo
    Free Member

trying to get past the marketing bullshit they feed everybody!

Everyone does marketing BS, because it is what advertising is.

swright
    Free Member

I own a 5… Had a quick blast on a Trek its just meh. I worked for a Trek dealer so have dealt directly with Trek that is where I have heard differently!

druidh
    Free Member

You worked for a Trek dealer and you’ve ridden a Trek?

Didn’t they trust you to bring them back?

jimw
    Free Member

get on an EX for a few hours, you may be surprised! (or you may be determined not to like it so never will, like some people are with 5’s)

swright
    Free Member

Then you didn’t even use a capital letter for ‘I’ and using ‘so’ to start a new sentence is a very poor use of English. Any more?

swright
    Free Member

Who said I gave them the bike back? Some homeless man is now tearing up the streets on a remedy.

sc-xc

Marketing doesn’t exist, and it doesn’t work on anybody. I thought we had at lease established that?

donsimon
    Free Member

Still not convinced, trying to get past the marketing bullshit they feed everybody!

Marketing is so last year. It’s all about the intrinsic qualities now. You’re not allowed to look at magazine reviews.
    You’re not allowed to discuss it on the forum.
    You’re not allowed a test ride.
    It intrinsic and you just know it…
    FYI, I think the Treks have more comfortable intrinsics.

PrinceJohn

I own a 5… Had a quick blast on a Trek its just meh. I worked for a Trek dealer so have dealt directly with Trek that is where I have heard differently!

Weird – I rode a five & found it a bit meh & uninspiring, ended up with a specialized….

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aaron Gwin only rides one cos he’s paid to. If he had a choice he’d have one of them orange bikes.

Classic! LOL!

mboy
    Free Member

I don’t think Trek are any worse than any other here.

Trek are notoriously good for their warranty claims though. Way more so than most, and certainly Orange. Some (not all) of their bike designs may be a little middle of the road and safe, but then they also make some absolute cracking bikes too.

I’d happily recommend a Trek to lots of people, I couldn’t say that about Orange.

rOcKeTdOg

Trek bikes are quieter when thrown down stairs

swright
    Free Member

Oh really? What Specialized, the new Enduro?

mrmo
    Free Member

Marketing doesn’t exist, and it doesn’t work on anybody. I thought we had at lease established that?

No, i thought it was marketing doesn’t work in Edinburgh?

swright
    Free Member

I am not even going to get involved with the Gwin argument, the guys not even human. I think you could give him any bike and he would still win?

Popocatapetl

I”ll see your five & beat it with My Nine 😀

augustuswindsock

meh?

GW
    Free Member

During chain idler testing the 224 was proven to be a faster bike chainless, given Gwin won qualis this weekend with no chain maybe he’s onto something. 😉

robsoctane
    Free Member

My EX makes me feel happier when riding than my Maxlight, Scott or Nomad. All top end bikes… That’s why.

Popocatapetl

Or my 5.5 Vs ??????

julianwilson
    Free Member

The fuel ex8 (a couple of mates have this/last years one) looks like a dog’s breakfast but rides very nice indeed, both up and down hills. Downhill partuclarly good at ‘skill compensation’ 😀

If any dealers/spec nerds are lurking and would like to comment, I did find it curious that on both the ex8’s I have ridden, they came with a tapered headtube and fork steerer (for stiffness, I presume?) but then a qr front wheel dangling off the end of a 140mm travel fork. How much would you have to sacrifice at that price point to get 15mm lowers, or even just a rws style 9mm thru-axle? 😕

nealglover
    Free Member

Downhill partuclarly good at ‘skill compensation’

Nothing can compensate for those skills 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Can someone please tell me why anyone would buy a Trek bike?’ is closed to new replies.