Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Can someone please explain the Ahses to me
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Comedy this – loads of ‘tards trying to make light of cricket taht clearly have no idea about it!!

chiefgrooveguru

Well our glorious success has made having a broken ankle a lot more palatable. Watching the highlights post-op, lower limb block anaesthesia slowly wearing off and am sure beating the Aussies is helping with pain management!

theotherjonv

In golf you don’t have to hit a ball that is approaching at up to 100mph

remembering of course that aiming to hit and intimidate the opponent with fast short pitched bowling is actually considered an integral tactic for a seam bowler.

Nowadays of course we are far more refined than actually bowling at people’s heads. Because that is too easy to avoid. No, the ideal ball now is the one which would pin the batter somewhere between nipple and chin height. Difficult to avoid, difficult to get a bat up to. You could try gloving it but having your fingers jammed against the bat handle at that speed isn’t over pleasurable either.

Anyone fancy coming to an indoor net session – I can crank the bowling machine up to a sedate 80mph and below chest height only ……

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

😆

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The urn symbolises the death of English cricket. Winning and retaining them is the most important objective of an England or australia player. Winning a series in Australia is a big deal because the pitches make such a huge difference to the game and give home teams a big advantage. for example the Australian groundmen seem to have produced pitches to neutralise our top spin bowler -swann . And it mostly worked except our seam bowlers were able to exploit them, suffocating the batting while their bowlers could not.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

buzz-lightyear
    couldn’t agree more 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

What I find interesting is the remarks of some commentators that swann had a bad tour because of his modest wicket taking. Yet he is so feared that his presence had the biggest influence on Aussie tactics. He was a good contender for man of the series IMO . No that was deserved by cook for exceptional batting and possible jimmy for leading the bowling. Jimmy reminded me of McGraths ruthless discipline this time. How the tables have turned.

theotherjonv

Agree with Buzz about Swann. Also the fact he could tie an end up for 35 overs a day as well meant that Strauss could rotate 3 seamers at will; rarely did they have to bowl under pressure or when tired, as soon as the Aussies got their measure, it was ‘well try this then’. I think he still had a large impact overall on the series.

For me the most pleasing aspect was that we now have a 5 or 6 man seam bowling battery that we can pick from to suit conditions. We rolled the Aussies time and again but in the bowling stakes, unlike batting (where we outscored Aus by I think 9 centuries to 3) we only had 3 5-fors in the series. Because everyone was taking wickets.

Jimmy – enough said
    Broad – hope he comes back from injury well, that’s key. He’s young and I’m not sure his frame is suited to out and out strike bowling but he can bowl with great control as he did in T1 and T2, and if he was to come back a yard down in pace but with his height, supreme control and the ability to nip and nibble the ball, could be another Glenn McGrath.
    Bresnan – I thought he should have come in when Broad was injured (I was wrong), again to provide that control. He was actually a bigger threat than I’d imagined – 11 wkts in 2 games at less than 20 is a great return
    Finn – almost forgotten but when he bowed out through fatigue / risk of injury he was top wicket taker. Can be expensive but also very dangerous. Not quite the finished article but on his day / on the right surface
    Tremlett – hugely impressed. Menacing and yet miserly. Stay fit PLEASE!
    Shahzad – could easily have been picked in place of Finn, Broad, Tremlett or Bresnan; will get his chance in the summer I think.

aracer
    Free Member

I agree about Swann – very much the unsung hero of this tour – a great slipper as well. The best part of it is that it seems he doesn’t mind at all not having the figures he “deserved” (being #2 in the world, all the talk beforehand was that he’d top the bowling stats), so long as he’s done his part to help the team.

RealMan
    Free Member

the TDF lasts several months,

wtf?

ahwiles
    Free Member

well, the race itself goes on for a couple of weeks or so, and then the lawyers and blood/wee laboratory boffins take over and tell us who didn’t get caught using epo.

the whole process usually takes months.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Can someone please explain the Ahses to me’ is closed to new replies.