Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Can someone explain car insurance to me?
  • charliemort

Crap Peugeot 206, myself, wife and daughter (17) on policy – about £700 last year

Renewal time – best quote I can get is about £2000. We have had a fault claim (against my wife) this year, but even if I take this off on go compare to see if this is what has lead to the hike, it makes naff all difference

Daughter passed test during the year, but I only had to pay a few quid when she passed for the remaining 6 months or so

Also – if she is the named main driver (rather than me) it goes down to about £1300!

Doesn’t seem logical to me!

demonracer

Is the car owned by you or your daughter? It is normally more expensive to insure a car owned by someone else. Is your daughter the main driver of the car? Did you loose any no claims discount when your wife was involved in the accident?

IdleJon

Daughter passed test during the year, but I only had to pay a few quid when she passed for the remaining 6 months or so

She’s passed her test, she’s a much higher risk than she was last year. You were lucky that your premium didn’t change much mid-term.

There will a loading on the premium if you are the policy holder because you are basically hiding a riskier driver on your policy. If the main risk is the policyholder it’s much simpler.

matt_outandabout

Daughter passed test during the year,

Before, she was supervised. Now she has the nickname of Ari Vatenan. And you have no idea how fast she goes.

if she is the named main driver (rather than me) it goes down to about £1300!

Because they know that so many folk buy and own a car – yet it is for the use of the child.

Who is on V5?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

It’s the fact that your daughter has passed her test and can now drive unsupervised. (oops, too slow)

and £1,300 is very cheap. I think my son’s was over £2,000 for an 89ps Punto in the first year after he passed.

cbike
    Free Member

Its also a “crap” disposable 206 2nd car that junior might crash. If it were Dads ford galaxy uncool family car it might not be so bad.

If she has clean licence in 20 years her Peugeot 206 insurance might be £300.

spooky_b329

They think your ‘fronting’ and the main driver is your daughter. If it’s cheaper, just put her as the main driver :). Just make sure you get back on the policy before your no claims becomes void due to not holding insurance.

Or get some quotes for a proper granddad’s car… Might be lower as not associated with young drivers.

matt_outandabout

If she has clean licence in 20 years her Peugeot 206 insurance might be £300.

Actually, it is £169, with £70 cashback on a nearly new Seat Ibiza ST. 8)

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Get her her own policy and put you 2 as named drivers. The sooner you do that, the sooner she builds a NCB. When I was that age, my parents were kind enough to buy me the car, but I had to pay for insurance tax and maintenance.

rocketman
    Free Member

OP your experience is almost identical to mine & rocket jr

If it’s any help it can pay to ring the insurers sometimes they can improve the internet price. Tedious I know but the actual real people seemed to regard the Internet version of their company as a competitor. Commission I guess

Timing was also important a start date of tomorrow was sometimes cheaper than a later date

More Than, Direct Line, Aviva, the AA were all willing to do a deal

Have a look at the telematics boxes as well

wilburt
    Free Member

When your running the quote with you as the main driver insurers suspect you are being economical with the facts put the details in correctly and its seen as a more honest proposal.

£1300 is then not a bad starting point for a young driver, you may be able to reduce it further by adding a telematics device.

br
    Free Member

Redo the quote with each driver on their own, and say they own the car – that’ll then show you where the ‘risk’ is.

Also location is a big decider – where we are (rural Scotland) is half the price of where my eldest lives (West Yorkshire).

munrobiker
    Free Member

Have you tried Adrian Flux young driver insurance? They were cheapest when my wife passed her test. You have to do it all over the phone, though.

charliemort

I’m the owner, registered keeper, and main driver

I could put her as main driver (she probably is at the moment) but that will change when she goes to uni (probably)

If it is the fact she passed her test, I’m surprised they didn’t crank it up when she passed. They did hike it because for some reason they thought she was a student nurse, not at school …..

wilburt
    Free Member

You need to put what the circumstance are now, so she is the main driver.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Daughter as the main policy holder to build up no claims.

Or take her off completely or get her to pay?

chewkw
    Free Member

The bastid quoted me £2.5k (actually that’s what I paid) when I bought my car with provisional license (been driving for many years in foreign land) …

wilburt
    Free Member

Based on your posts they’ve got you nailed.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Can someone explain car insurance to me?’ is closed to new replies.