Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Can someone explain 2nd Cousin-etc tangle? (Albert Einstein content)
  • hora
    Free Member

Its abit early for me but how does his Dad being Einsteins wife’s second cousin relate?

i.e. going back a generation what relation could Einsteins dad be in the tree/tangle?

15 Celebrities Who Married A Cousin

nickc

no direct relation. Only by marriage

i think… 😕

second cousins are the offspring of related first cousins

stealthcat

The way it was explained to me is if A & B are second cousins, one parent of A and one parent of B are cousins – your son and your cousin’s son are second cousins. Your cousin’s son is your cousin once removed…

Junkyard
    Free Member

What he said your cousins offspring and yours are second cousins

z1ppy

Damn, my brain just dribbled out my ear trying to follow that stealthcat, it was going so well too.

maccruiskeen

Judging by this family tree both Albert and Elsa were decended from the same great grandparents- so going back 3 generations of the 16 great grandparents they had between them two of them were the same people

theflatboy
    Free Member

It’s not that complicated – I have a son, my cousin’s just had a daughter. My cousin’s daughter is my first cousin once removed. His daughter and my son are second cousins.

stealthcat

Damn, my brain just dribbled out my ear trying to follow that stealthcat, it was going so well too.

Try my family – we used to have (I think!) my third cousin twice removed turning up to our family get-togethers until she went into a nursing home…

When I realised that most of the “family” of my age were second cousins once removed, I gave up on working out how they were related and took the approach of “Do I like them?” If yes, then they are family, if no, then ignore!

jimoiseau
    Free Member

Einstein married Elsa Lowenthal, who was Einstein’s first cousin on his mother’s side and second cousin on his father’s side.

It would be clearer to say: Einstein’s dad’s cousin had a child with Einstein’s mom’s sibling, and he married said offspring later in life.

maccruiskeen

Actually that family tree is difficult to follow but following the father lines of both albert and his wife – going back 3 generations you get to the same great grandparents making Bert and Elsa 2nd Cousins. Following back of the mother’s side for both of them they share grandparents making them 1st cousins also. So his mum and her mum were sisters in one family line and his dad and her dad were cousins in another.

woody2000

I can’t be the only to have had a little snigger at “Fanny Koch”, can I? 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

I can’t be the only to have had a little snigger at “Fanny Koch”, can I?

Fanny Moos and a Fanny Schmal too.

andytherocketeer

blimey.

so they’re 2nd cousins (same great-grandparents on the paternal side), and 1st cousins (same grandparents on the maternal side), and spouses.

if i read that tree right.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Can someone explain 2nd Cousin-etc tangle? (Albert Einstein content)’ is closed to new replies.