• This topic has 30 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by bigG.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Can some one help Post forks to IS XTR Caliper ???
  • boba-fett
    Free Member

Hi can some please help, this is doing my head-in as there are so many out there.

I need an adapter for….

1, I have post mount 2009 SID forks
    2, I have an XTR IS M975 Calliper
    3, I have a 160mm XTR centre Lock rotor

Please what do I need to make these fit….

Thanks so much in advance to the Guru with the answer to my prayers.

PaulD
    Free Member

boba,

Shimano do not seem to offer what you need…check their technical pages.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/index.jsp

PaulD

dirtyrider
    Free Member

forks are spaced for 160mm rotors, no adapter needed, just bolt caliper to forks

dezmtber
    Free Member

theres only one way posssible.
    u need to use a is to post mount. hope do them
    hope is to post

with the hope one you will need to use a 180mm disc.

hope this helps, your sids will be ok with a 180mm

boba-fett
    Free Member

Dirtyrider, thanks, but you are not a Guru!!!!!

So what do I do???

dirtyrider
    Free Member

ignore me, IS caliper M975 not post

not sure you will be able to adapt that without using a larger rotor

bigyinn
    Free Member

Not sure you can get an adapter to stay at 160mm. You should be able to get one for 180mm, but you’ll need a bigger motor too.
    dirty rider, how would you bolt an IS caliper “straight on” to a pm fork? Sideways?? 😉

mrmo
    Free Member

have a look at kcnc, they do an adaptor that allows an IS caliper to be fitted to a post mount fork.

boba-fett
    Free Member

Thanks there is no 160mm rotor adapter then??

The SIDS are 2010 World Cup, will they be ok..

mrmo
    Free Member
    xanboy
    Free Member

You can do one of 2 things, both include spending money.

1. Buy the Hope IS to post mount and a 180mm center lock rotor.

2. Buy a post mount XTR, XT or SLX caliper.

trailflow
    Free Member

Do you have a centre lock hub? or 6 bolt ?

boba-fett
    Free Member

I have just bought the 180 rotor (40 squid) and the Hope adapter

splitlip, I have on of them…!!

Thanks for the help but it would appear they don’t do what im after.. Cash to be made i feel!!

bigyinn
    Free Member

splitlip – Member

I think this is the one, it’s similar to the KCNC
    Thats for adapting an IS fork to a PM caliper.

bradystoffer
    Free Member

i had the same exact problem about four months ago and its asid dzmtbkr was there to watch the cure because thats exactly what i had to do and the sid certainly wont be affected bye a 180 rotor how would it i have 203 on my 2003 sid world cup carbon croned and that only has 28 mm the newer sids are what 3? but either way it deff wont hurt youre sid and its an easy fix the only thing easier isto buy a 160 rotor and jst mount the damn thing lmfao cost ya 20 bucks and two scews worth of work the difference wont be that noticable unless ur a downhilla killa lol in that case youre just gona have to scrap the whole job and get ya some fox 40’s lol sorry for my sour sense of timing but realy do what he said and get te hope adapter i never use the right adapters shit sometimes i use two stacked for a 203 rotor and shit still works out if it rolls and stops with no funny noises **** bob it and worry about it at the bottom lmao 8^)

bradystoffer
    Free Member

woops bomb it not bob ull look goofy up there bobbin

njee20
    Free Member

WTF? How drunk are you?

There’s a reason it doesn’t exist – There’s not physically room to get an adapter in with a 160 rotor, it sits too far out.

bigG
    Free Member

Yes, it can be done without an increase in rotor size (in most cases).

You need one of these and it looks like this on the bike. That’s a 180mm hope disc, the same mount works for 160mm.

(I have no doubt my STW stalker will be along shortly to say it didn’t work for him)

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

So BigG you have used an adapter which has meant you have had to up your rotor size to 180mm which is what normally happens.

wwaswas

errrm, but he was already running a 180mm rotor so it’s stayed the same size.

The ‘issue’ fro him was that Hope changed calipers to adjust for different rotor sizes and that’s a 180mm caliper so he couldn;t run a 160mm disk with it. For all other IS mount calipers you could run a 160mm rotor using that adapter.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

No you can go from 180 to 180 with an adapter because the 180 brake was already spaced out with an adapter , you have just swapped adapter types . 160mm on the other hand has no adapter using pm fork and caliper , with a is to pm adapter it is the norm to have to go up to a 180 disc .

wwaswas

*confused*

are you saying that the adapter that BigG posted cannot be used with a standard 160mm IS caliper and disk on some (but not all) PM forks?

because if you are then you’re wrong.

Dickyboy

with a is to pm adapter it is the norm to have to go up to a 180 disc

the norm yes, but the KCNC one will do 160mm in some cases (it wouldn’t fit my m965 IS caliper though).

Shackleton

The adaptor in BigGs pic allows you to mount whatever IS caliper you have onto a PM fork without changing disc size. The only caveat I know of that it doesn’t seem to fit around the casting on 15mm Revelation castings and some calipers are a bit bulky to fit inside it. As far as I know this is the only adaptor that will allow you to do this.

I know this to be fact as I use 2 myself and it does exactly what it said on the tin. I went from using a Magura 180mm caliper and 180mm disc on an IS Pike to the same set up on a PM Revelation. I also swapped the other halves Magura 160mm IS caliper and rotor from an IS Rock shox Reba to a PM Reba. With no change in set up other than using the KCNC adaptor.

Hope and Magura used to (maybe still do) use different caliper sizes to negate the need for adaptors so if you use the KCNC adaptor with a 160mm Hope or Magura caliper you get to keep your 160mm disc. Same goes for if you have a 180mm caliper and disc.

So sorry Ramsey Neil, in this case you are absolutely wrong.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Usually you need to go from 160mm to 180mm , that adaptor will work for some but not for others , depending on the fork and calliper used . If the featured adaptor doesn’t work then the other option is to go up a disc size . The OP has already bought a 180 disc so it’s not really important any more .

bigG
    Free Member

It started as a 180mm rotor and continues to be a 180mm rotor after I used the adaptor. Some folk might need to do some judicious filing to get it to fit. I didn’t need to.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Sorry bigG you are totally right , I fear I have made something of a tit of myself .

MarkyP
    Free Member

You just need one of these Adaptor

bigG
    Free Member

Markyp that’s the same one I linked to two days ago. Glad someone agrees with me!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Can some one help Post forks to IS XTR Caliper ???’ is closed to new replies.