Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Can my landlady terminate early?
  • squin
    Free Member

My landlord is a nightmare and has said that she is serving 2 months notice to terminate the SHTA early.

Al I right in thinking that she can only do this is we are in breach of contract? (which we’re not).

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

What is a SHTA?

motivforz
    Free Member

Would assume short-hold tenancy agreement?

convert

How long have you been there and what was the contract length? A standard (if there is such a thing) contract might be 12month with 1 month notice for you or 2 months notice for her after 6 months. No reason needed for either party.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

and so it begins…

squin, if you want the correct answer, click my name and you’ll find the answer. If you are having any difficulty feel free to email me and i can help you out.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

What SA says. Shelter site will have all the information you’ll ever need on it.

mrmo
    Free Member

speak to S-A or have a look on Shelter site for details, basically 2 months notice is all you get with assured shorthold tenancy which is the norm in the UK.

Welcome to the world of s*** landlords who think it is fine to f*** over tenants just because they can.

convert

Ignore me – that shelter site looks to have far more info for you to trawl through.

Welcome to the world of s*** landlords who think it is fine to f*** over tenants just because they can.

Whilst I agree there are plenty of crap landlords out there, they are ultimately in it to make money and NO landlord will voluntarily make their property vacant for no reason as simply it costs them money. If their idea of “good reason” and your idea are the same is obviously up for debate!

mattsccm
    Free Member

Do we have to have this slagging someone off on this forum all the time?

vooomvooom
    Free Member

here is an interesting note about the deposit…

How to avoid getting ripped off by dodgy landlords

squin
    Free Member

I think I may have found an answer: we’re within the initial 6 months and the landlord can’t terminate early unless we’re in breach. We are model tenants, really look after the house and always pay the rent on time etc. We asked if she could fix the dishwasher (as per the contract) and she has gone nuts saying that it’s our responsibility and she’s going to serve notice! She really is a nutter. to be honest, it is probably best that we do get somewhere new after the 6 months, but not ideal as we like the house and location etc.
    Wouldn’t mind if we were bad tenants, but we’re not.
    Lunatic!!!!

sunshiner1der
    Free Member

Doesn’t it say in the contract you signed? Some tenancy agreements are different to others, it’s always worth checking what the agreement YOU signed is, rather than what is assumed to be the norm.

I know it’s a pain for you, if you are happy there, but it could be that it’s nothing to do with you and you are excellent tenants, more to do with the current economy and maybe she needs to release some funds by selling or getting new tenants in who pay more?

cheez0
    Free Member

squin
    Free Member

Yeah, our contract specifically says electrical equipment repaired at landlords expense. Maybe it is for another reason and she’s just using this as a reason to spit her dummy out.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

[/quote]oesn’t it say in the contract you signed? Some tenancy agreements are different to others, it’s always worth checking what the agreement YOU signed is, rather than what is assumed to be the norm.

Worth noting that anything in the contract that falls outside the law cannot be upheld.
    As a private landlord I’m horrified what i hear some LL try/get away with.

mrmo
    Free Member

My experience is most landlords are happy to take your money as per contract but if you dare to ask for repairs or anything that will cost them money then they kick off and look at ways to get you out.

Maybe i have been unlucky but i have spoken to enough people over the years who share this experience.

toys19
    Free Member

squin, there are a fair few ways the landlord can muck this up leading to your gain. Number one is that they have to give correct notice – it has to fall on an anniversary of the rent day so if your six months is up on 31st dec then the notice must be given on or before 30th oct for you to vacate on 31st dec, if she gives notice on 25th of oct it can’t make you leave earlier it has to be notice for 31st dec. If she is a bit loop the loop it’s likely that she has naffed this up, and if she has naffed it up the notice is invalid and you don’t have to do anything. The key thing is when you get notice, take the notice and your contract in to CAB/Shelter?lawyer/LA and get it checked.

PS I’m a landlord and asking to fix the DW is just a run of the mill request that would be met with a swift solution, ie repair or replace, your LL sounds mental..

toys19
    Free Member

edit:above only applies as long as its an AST. I don’t know anything about other types of agreement as I only use AST’s

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Toys19, if you were my tenant and i served you notice today, are you suggesting that i will not be able to get possession until the end of December?

surely it would depend on what kind of notice i had served you? What about if i had served you a notice when i issued the tenancy eg 4 months ago, Would that be valid?
    What about if you didn’t really have an AST? what kind of notice then?

its a little bit more complicated, don’t you think?

toys19
    Free Member

Well the op said she is planning to serve notice, so by inference, she didn’t serve it at the beginning, otherwise she wouldnt need to serve it again. I also stated that what I said only applied to ast’s so Who knows what to do if t isn’t. What exactly are you trying to prove? What I’ve said is accurate given that the op said that he hadnt breached any of his contract t&c’s then she can only serve him with an s21 . Unless she did the I’m moving back in thing on the contract. Although I know two landlords who tried this with solicitors backing and were beaten, by shelter as it happens. Or the op has lied and has breached, then thats his look out. If you have magic powers that can end an unbreached ast early then do let us know how.

If I was on an unbreached ast and you served VALID notice today, then you wouldnt be able to get me out until at least two months from today. Anyway without an eviction order you couldn’t get me out at all, if I chose to fight. But thats a different matter ..

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Private landlords=The scum of Capitalism.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Can my landlady terminate early?’ is closed to new replies.