Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Can I use a Steam Iron for waxing a snowboard? or uses for an old steam iron
  • Killer
    Free Member

So in short i have a spare old steam iron that is now surplus to requirements and i’m not sure whether to throw it away or find some other use for it.

The first thing that came to mind was to use it as a ski/snowboard wax iron. Obviously without filling it with water.
    question is, will it work? has anybody tried?

Any other good uses for an old steam iron?

kimbers

yep ive done it

works fine

bri-72

Yep

RustySpanner

Connected to a convenient local wind turbine, they make a handy camping toaster.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Obviouslly drain the water out and set it to “no steam”, but yeah, don’t understand why anyone would buy a “proper” waxing iron.

kayak23

Good for reducing dents/scratches in wood. Lay a white and clean damp cloth over the dent and press for a few seconds.
    The steam gets in the pores and swells them reducing the dent.
    Sand and polish.

brakes
    Free Member

I bought the cheapest iron I could from Argos rather than buying a proper waxing iron, assuming there was no difference.
    worked fine, but the pointy bit can dig in making it a bit harder to get an even surface.

Spin
    Free Member

but the pointy bit can dig in making it a bit harder to get an even surface

That’s why skis are better than snowboards. 😀

user-removed
    Free Member

…but the pointy bit can dig in making it a bit harder to get an even surface.

Use the iron sideways? And no need for an even surface really as you’re going to be scraping all the excess wax off afterwards anyway. I’m one of the techs at the local dry slope once or twice a month and have been on training courses where they only use el-cheapo domestic irons (we do use ‘proper’ ones too though).

molgrips
    Free Member

don’t understand why anyone would buy a “proper” waxing iron

Two things: the holes can get gummed up, but the main reason is that the thermostat’s not very sensitive so it cools down a lot before heating up a lot – the temperature is not very consistent. Waxing irons stay much more steady.

GrahamS

Yep use an old £6 Woolworths steam iron to do all my waxing. No issues.

the pointy bit can dig in making it a bit harder to get an even surface.

Can’t say I’ve had that issue. Maybe you should get your wife to do the ironing bit? 😉

Seriously, you’re going to scrape it afterwards anyway so it doesnt need to be super even or smooth.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Controlling the temp can be a bit of a pain. Or maybe it’s just the old iron i used to use. Be careful on a new board!

superfli
    Free Member

I’ve always used a cheap travel iron. It has steam holes, but has been fine. Its still going strong a waxes many a board each year (until the last few years, with family commitments). Thinking about it, I bought it in ’97, so thats some going!

EdwardH

Yes.

I use an old travel iron, as it folds away nice and small for taking with me on snowboard holidays

organic355
    Free Member

EDIT: sorry didnt, read the question. old steam iron will work fine for snowboard.

Edukator
    Free Member

A proper waxing iron weighs somewhat less when X-C touring.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Can I use a Steam Iron for waxing a snowboard? or uses for an old steam iron’ is closed to new replies.