Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Can I transfer 2×10 chainset rings onto a 3×10 chainset?
  • smogmonster

Im looking to turn my 2×10 equipped Cube Stereo 29er into a 1×10. I want to swap the 2×10 chainrings from the Cube onto my Trek Fuel ex, which currently has 3×10 fitted. Can I transfer them straight across? Will I need new chainring bolts if this is possible?

vincienup
    Free Member

Depends, may be an element of suck it and see.

Real 2×10 cranks should have a different offset to 3x cranks but yours may not. I’m fitting a pair that seem to be from an S1000 crank to an old SLX M665 double and bash, but don’t know how well this will work, yet…

I’m assuming you mean to make the triple crank into a double, btw. You won’t be able to have a third functional ring due to the design of the outer ring from your double set.

The existing bolts from your triple won’t work for the outer ring unless you add a bash or some washers as they’ll be too long.

damascus
    Free Member

Are the chain rings the same bcd?

philjunior
    Free Member

Any reason not to swap chainsets and run the 3x cranks with one ring (which you can ensure fits when you buy it)?

bikeneil
    Free Member

You can do but you’d have to use the 3x setting on the lh shifter instead of the 2x.

monkeyboyjc

Are you going to be using the granny ring? As most 2×10 inner chainrings dont have ramps and pins for shifting up on to them.
    if youre converting the 3×10 into a 2×10, as long as the bcd is the same and youve got the correct bolts 9x out of 10 you’ll be fine. Just give it a go. Must be worth an hour or so of fettling.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Can I transfer 2×10 chainset rings onto a 3×10 chainset?’ is closed to new replies.