Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Can I short shocking my bike?!?
  • y0eddy
    Free Member

Any suspension gurus out there?

I’m considering slackening the head angle on my Ibis Mojo SL-R by replacing the 200×50 stock Fox Shox with a 190×50 CCDBA with CS.

Will my bike die?

oliverracing

How much space is there for the tyre against the seatpost at full bump? if there is 30mm you should be fine! (I think), also need to make sure the suspension can move into that position, so take the shock out and give it a go!

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Aren’t offset bushings an easier/cheaper/more subtle choice?

scaredypants

at full compression, your current shock will be (nominally anyway)
    200-50=150mm
    the new one will be
    190-50=140mm

That 10mm is the wheel further “up” its travel than was originally achievable, so you have to be sure that this won’t let the tyre foul the frame or snap/dent some part of the rear end or linkages

(as ^ they said, let out all of the air of your current shock and see where that gets to when compressed, then take out the shock and let the suspension move even further and you should know if it’s a goer)

(alternatively, google it – I bet someone’s had a go before you)

y0eddy
    Free Member

Thanks for the relies. Off set bushing is probably a more sensible option.

zero-cool
    Free Member

http://Www.offsetbushings.com is the place to go. £10 each and are made to your specs. They do take 3 or 4 rides to stop creaking but they slackened the HA of my Alpine by just over -1 degree.

And try a Works angle cups as well

molgrips
    Free Member

I tried it on my Patriot. It fit, but the ride was kind of weird – the feel of the rear end didn’t match the front at all.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Can I short shocking my bike?!?’ is closed to new replies.