Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Can I run a 22-36 tooth double on a Five, or will the 36 have clearance issues?
  • wl
    Free Member

As title really – on a 2012/2013 26″ Five, with a bash. Just before I order a new chainset. Thanks.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I had the chain catching the pivot with 22-36 SLX double on my 2011 Five.
    34t is “said” to be the biggest that will clear but I couldn’t find one at a reasonable price so settled for a 32t.
    The other option is to swap a BB spacer from non-drive side to drive side.

When last I changed the frame bearings, it struck me that you could always gain a bit more clearance by offsetting the swingarm slightly too. NB. I haven’t tried this so can’t vouch for it!!! but it looks feasible.

[edit] In theory, offsetting the swingarm at the pivot bearing clamps would suit me better as I’d probably be able to leave the ISCG mounted DRS as it is and would be able to offset by the minimum amount to get the clearance (ie less than a full BB spacer) [/edit]

wors

36 on mine without issue, it is bloody close when changing up or down though.

wl
    Free Member

Cheers for these. Which bit exactly is close? I’m trying to visualise it. Ta.

tonyd

I went 24/34/bash on mine (2009 model) as 36 was too close.

Edit: Not enough clearance at the swingarm IIRC

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

“Which bit exactly is close?”
    The area of the swingarm immediately below the pivot bearing cover.
    Mine fouled slightly there and took off the paint but I still didn’t notice any effect in use (when changing up or down the rings).

chrismac

I run a 22/36 on mine with no problems.Use the standard raceface crank and middleburn rings. Never had an inssue with clearance

composite
    Free Member

I run 26/36 (2009 frame) with a converted triple SLX crank with no problems what so ever.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Can I run a 22-36 tooth double on a Five, or will the 36 have clearance issues?’ is closed to new replies.