Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Can I run a 150m fork on a Yeti ASR5
  • gingerbullet
    Free Member

Hi there

I’m thinking of changing my frame and have seen a Asr5, Yeti recommends a 140 mm fork but I don’t want to change my current fork straight away. Will this setup work and what if any issues should I expect

Any help or advise would be great

Thanks

pinetree
    Free Member

Probably wouldn’t. I ride a 140mm setup, I reckon any taller and it would handle like a bit of a boat.

What form have you got? It may be possible to reduce the travel slightly?

larrythelathe
    Free Member

Ye I did, no problems at all.

P20
    jimmy

I have u-turns but rarely run 150mm unless on particularly steeper stuff. It can handle it and is fun, but it’s better all round at 140mm.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Pretty sure if your buying frame new you void the warranty if you fit anything over 140mm forks. Ive also heard of people that have cracked the swingarm been refused warrany as they had 200mm rear brake discs fitted as they recommend nothing bigger than 185..

Superficial
    Free Member

As above, theoretically it voids the warranty and it may well handle a bit worse on climbs. Having said that, I’m running 140mm forks with 10mm of lower headset. The front end gets wandery on really steep stuff but it’s very manageable (I’m not the kind of person to get off and push…). I could have used a zero-stack headset which would have put the front end 10mm lower or allowed a 150mm fork with the same front end height / head angle. The ‘trouble’ with the ASR-5 is that whilst it’s a very lightweight frame, its geometry encourages you you to rag it. So I think 150mm could be a lot of fun but I can understand why Yeti may not want people running such big forks and ragging it that hard.

The other thing to consider is the axle-crown length of various forks. E.g. a 140mm rockshox rev has a bigger A-to-C than a 140mm Marz 44 IIRC.

200mm discs on an XC bike? Yeah, that’s dumb.

jimmy

[quote200mm discs on an XC bike?[/quote]

I’ve never considered mine an Xc bike, way too much fun. I’ve raced it DH, ridden it in the alps and never felt uncomfortable. I even handed a Driver 8 back to the hire shop in favour of my Asr5 in Morzine. (They are the times I’ve ran 150mm)

Superficial
    Free Member

I have also done all of the above on mine with a 165mm rear disc though. 200mm disc on a 5lbs 125mm travel frame is daft. IMO.

gingerbullet
    Free Member

Thanks all, i think i’ll keep my eye out for a 575 or SB66 frame instead

if anyone knows of anyone selling one pls let me know

Thanks Dan

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Can I run a 150m fork on a Yeti ASR5’ is closed to new replies.