Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Can I refuse to sell? – eBay
  • ph0010421
    Free Member

Hello
    Any advice from regular eBayers appreciated.
    I stipulated ‘collection only’ in an ad (Manchester) because the item is too big/odd sahped/heavy to pack.
    Now, a guy in Holland has gone and won it, and wants me to arrange collection by DHL, and wrap it up etc., and truth be know, I can’t be arsed, hence specifying collection only.
    Do I open a ‘dispute’ here? Or am I obliged to sell it?
    ta

loddrik
    Free Member

If he arranges collection, you just pack it up as he is asking, seems like a decent compromise. As a trusted ebay seller, that’s what I’d do. It doesn’t hurt to go the extra yard for someone..

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

What is the item?

zangolin
    Free Member

Yes you can refuse – if your the item’s description/shipping details clearly stated collection only.

I suppose on the other hand if it was a good price then maybe worth the hassle? – if not tell em to sling their hook 😉

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

I think “collection only” means, you come round and take it away like it is.
    He wants you to wrap it, that involves boxes, cardboard, bubble wrap, tape, padding etc which you’ve not charged for.
    If you’ve said “collection only” then i’d not do what he wants.
    You should’ve specified “UK only”
    He must’ve been stoned!
    😀

ratherbeintobago

wants me to arrange collection by DHL

This is easier than you think – IIRC some branches of Staples & WH Smith have DHL parcle drop-off points.

Andy

TheFlyingOx

Just point him at the bit where you said “collection only” and ask him what day he’ll be over.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Don’t bother just second chance the next bidder and do the deal with them

haakon_haakonsson
    Free Member

Hating to be a wet blanket, but you want to be careful of the usual scams, eg that he’ll only send payment to you once you’ve shipped the item.

I’d agree with joolsburger, send the winner a message saying sorry, you did say collection only, then go to the next highest bidder

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Just say NO

ph0010421
    Free Member

All good advice, and kind of what I was hoping for. I would normally be happy to go the extra mile, but it’s a heck of a lump.
    Thanks. Second chance offer done!
    Just fyi:
    big and heavy

mieszko
    Free Member

I don’t understand which part of the “postage isn’t going to happen” he did not understand.

There was a thread here before about other item from ebay being sent abroad, the buyer then opened a dispute as apparently some items from the lot were damaged. Finally agreed on a discount.

Your item does not look too bad for packaging, probably a big box from a supermarket would do, some bubble wrap etc. The postage will probably be a killer depending on weight. I’ve sent a frameset to Portugal, it fetched £130 but postage cost was £40, the guy paid no problem.

It depends what is the second highest bid and if it’s from someone local to You. Should not be a problem imho as the description clearly states that item is collection only.

loddrik
    Free Member

Looks like a forgiving and generous nature is hard to come by on STW these days.

Maybe there’s more Tories on here than I thought…

nick1962
    Free Member

Looks like a forgiving and generous nature is hard to come by on STW these days

There are scammers out there especially on e bay.Once you’ve been had you tend to lose your generous nature….Most just want something cheaper and so raise bogus disputes or claim non delivery or that goods are damaged or not as described and so your money gets frozen.Believe me it happens and if your goods are overseas there ain’t much you can do when the “buyer” says he’ll return it but wants you to pay.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I declined to sell a dog cage to some guy once as I’d said collection only, soon as he’d won he messaged me asking “how do we arrange delivery?”.

neninja
    Free Member

You have no seller Paypal protection for items collected from you whether it’s by the buyer or a courier.

Politely tell him to go forth.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’m hardly an ebay virgin. And if anyone posts before receiving payment they deserve to be scammed. As for the situations you mention above, they are easily prevented by placing responsibility for postage on the recipient.

I’m a little surprised by the responses, although maybe I shouldn’t be…. 😐

Raindog
    Free Member

Your auction says collection only, it doesn’t say he can’t arrange for someone else to collect it for him. Why not pack the thing and let him arrange for it to be collected ?

redthunder
    Free Member

I had it with Golf Balls :-(. But I said posted only and the winner insisted on collecting just because he was nearby.

PS: I have loads of brand new golf balls for sale cheap to anyone on here 🙂 MaxFli, Noodle Ice etc. Also gloves, tees etc. Could do a pack 🙂

trout
    Free Member

How many Lumens and wheres the helmet mount 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

Looks like a forgiving and generous nature is hard to come by on STW these days.

Maybe there’s more Tories on here than I thought…

So which party are you here on behalf of, the ones that blatently ignore instructions and do what they like then expect everyone to make up for their stupidity by claiming it’s nice to be forgiving and generous? 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Can I refuse to sell? – eBay’ is closed to new replies.