Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Can i put 150mm forks on my alpine 160
  • sirtomsmith
    Free Member

Hi singletrackers i am buying my orange alpine frame its a 160mm bike but i want to put 150mm forks on will this effect anything i know it will affect my head angle but what else

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Don’t know why you’d want to particularly? I found a 160 to be pretty spot on with, er 160s.

Don’t see why not though – would steepen up the head angle a bit, and lower the front and and BB – only 10mm less travel but you might find 150 forks have quite a bit less axle to crown than 160mm Lyriks/ 36s for example.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Any reason you’re getting an Alpine and not a Five? You won’t notice the 10mm much I don’t think, but if it’s 32mm stanchions you’re putting on, it’ll kind of be robbing the Alpine of its balls so to speak…

jonk

It will steepen the seat angle too, i’ve had 150’s on my alpine when my 160’s were broke and it was fine.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Some 150s will be longer than some 160s axle to crown some will be way shorter. All depends really.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

team up with someone who has 160mm forks on a Five, and between you build 2 decent bikes? 🙂

I assume you want to fit 150mm because thats what youve already got?

althepal

I fitted Pace RC40s (130mm) on my 575 frame when I first got it. Didn’t have the finances to buy a new fork at the time and 140 was the supposed minimum you would want on that frame.
    Got the bike shop to fIt an external cup headset which added about 10mm to the height as a stop gap seemed fine and climbed well!
    I did notice the difference when I stuck my new 150 revs on though..

sirtomsmith
    Free Member

i can get 160mm s cause that was the plan but its just that i can get 150mm fox very cheap and that was my consern about the crown and stanction size i have had 3 160mm bikes and want to stay that way thanks for your opinion people

GaryLake
    Free Member

Stanchion size would be a deal breaker for me on an Alpine 160…

Euro
    Free Member

I ran a set of older 36 Talas @ 150mm on my Commie MiniDH and it handled fine. It was used rough DH trails and coped pretty well most of the time. I’ve since changed to 180 Domains as after sag I was only getting about 4″ up front which wasn’t enough to let me go as fast I wanted on really rough stuff.

sirtomsmith
    Free Member

thats what my worrie is garylake i realy think it needs some 36mm on a alpine

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Can i put 150mm forks on my alpine 160’ is closed to new replies.