Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Can I have a private online photo gallery?
  • sharkattack

If you need to share a large amount of pictures internationally but with just one or two people how can you do it? Is there any way I can host them on some kind of online image gallery without them being visible to the public? Something password protected, with high image quality?

Surely something like this exists. I’ve done some googling but found nothing useful.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Dropbox, Google+, Flickr (use Friends/Family settings or private group)

If you set them right.

mossimus
    Free Member

Flickr allows various privacy controls and would fulfill your requirement.

jam-bo

another vote for flickr. I have galleries that only family and friends can see.

you can email out invitations to non-flickr users as well and retract the permissions anytime you like.

molgrips
    Free Member

Most do this. Flickr+ is good.

brant
    Free Member

Email them all to private@posterous.com and stuff.

franksinatra

I do the same with my Photo a day album on Picassa web albums. I just give relatives the link and then they can see it. It works well. I can’t compare to flickr but it seems to do the job for me and seemed easier as I already use Picassa anyway.

purpleyeti
    Free Member

i’ll just leave this here, but i won’t treat anything posted to the places mentioned as either private or secure.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/flickr-bug-led-private-photos-being-shared-1C8344002

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I really hope so – or am I just too trusting of photobucket’s private setting?!

johnellison
    Free Member

Try Fotomoto. Even the free option gives you a mahoosive amount of storage, plus it’s fairly easy to use.

jam-bo

i’ll just leave this here, but i won’t treat anything posted to the places mentioned as either private or secure.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/flickr-bug-led-private-photos-being-shared-1C8344002

to be fair, if my photos really were private then they wouldn’t be going anywhere near the internet on any site.

DezB
    Free Member

These are Picasa’s privacy settings:

(I know, it says “bum”)

purpleyeti
    Free Member

adjustablewench, it’s not just their privacy settings but also the underlying infrastructure and also the companies emploies.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not really bothered about potential online photo security breaches, there’s nothing really sensitive in there. It would be possible for someone to research my personal information for purposes of spoofing, but that’s a lot of effort for someone to go to just for me.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

And if you have an outlook.com or Hotmail address you can also use skydrive.

cmjdavies
    Free Member

I’m a Smugmug user. I upload a Full Res image and it converts it into a variety of sizes which I choose the maximum to display.

When I need to share the results of a shoot with a client I create a private gallery, password protected if I want and share the full res photos that they can download as they wish. These galleries cannot even be found on my site, you need the link that I email, but then they still display as any other gallery with my logo and navigation etc.

Happy to share one if you want a look, email me

Chris

sharkattack

Didn’t get a chance to check back earlier but thanks for the pointers. I still really dislike Flickr for some reason, it just looks horrible.

Smugmug is the most tempting so far. Never previously heard of it so thanks for the tip. I’m going to start the free trial tomorrow and get it sussed out.

piemonster

I’m not really bothered about potential online photo security breaches, there’s nothing really sensitive in there. It would be possible for someone to research my personal information for purposes of spoofing, but that’s a lot of effort for someone to go to just for me.

I’d make an exception, just for you.

Plus one tho!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Can I have a private online photo gallery?’ is closed to new replies.