Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Can I get your vote(s) on a photo treatment?
  • m1kea
    Free Member

I’ve been tarting about with a pano I shot back in 2011 of Mt Washington in New Hampshire.

The picture in question is the first three images here – http://www.pbase.com/m1ke_a/panoramics and as you can see, there are colour, mono and ‘steel’ versions.

If you click on the original ‘button’ at the bottom of each it’ll show you the 3000px wide versions.

The full size copy is 48″ X 18″ and I’m wondering on whether to get one printed up.

Cheers in advance

fisha
    Free Member

Here is my take on the original pic from pbase:

To be honest, the original pic ( albeit it a good stitch pano ) is quite a flat subject … the colours are fairly even / almost bland ( which is something I also find with winter pics sometimes ) and the subject is all in the middle / far distance … which makes for the overall pic being feeling flat. Your eye isn’t drawn to any one particular part.

In my take, I did a couple of things …darkened the sky down to try and get some contrast in it which also darkened the top left diagonal section too.

I added a vignette on it so that your eye is drawn to centre mountains. a side bonus of this is that its brought out good contrast on the snow in the bottom right corner.

A couple of colour changes to give it that overall blue colouring to it.

That being said, photobucket appears to have changed the colour profile of it compared to what it looks like in photoshop.
    ( I kept the photoshop file if you want it )

m1kea
    Free Member

Fisha

I hear what you’re saying about flat subjects, something a lot of landscape views can suffer with.

I went seriously overboard with the split toning and vignetting options to get something from the original of this

Gas mark 4 vignetting won’t look very good on a large print but you’ve confirmed what I did with the monochrome versions, the sky needs a lot more punch. 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

The mountains and sky look best in the steel version, but it does really leave the middle section very flat.
    Fisha’s definitely onto something with his shopped version, can’t help feeling the main subject is just too far away.
    I could never ask stw advice on a pic I wanted to print out though: I would be reminded of the thread about the pic when I looked at it, rather than the subject of the pic itself!

m1kea
    Free Member

Dez I’m not going to worry, or more to the point at my age, remember any thread comments!

I’ve posed this question on other forums etc as it’s an interesting exercise to see what people’s takes are on things. – Gawd bless the t’interweb.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Can I get your vote(s) on a photo treatment?’ is closed to new replies.