Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • 'can I get…'
  • terrahawk
    Free Member

I thought it was either 'can I have' or 'can you get me…', rather than 'can I get…'

FOr example, 'can I GET a latte please' – for some reason this pisses me off. Have you been watching too much US TV? No, you can't get it, I'll get the fecker for you cos I work here.

Can we just go back to 'can I have a latte please' PLEASE?

AndyP
    Free Member

Can we just go back to 'can I have a latte please' PLEASE?

can we just go back to 'can I have a coffee please' PLEASE?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

or Grab.

**** Grab a sandwich in my local sarnie shop and Christine will kick your head in

bassspine
    Free Member

shouldn't it be "please may I have a latte?"

terrahawk
    Free Member

anything but "can I get…" will do. Gggrrrr.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

AndyP – I could not agree more.

teagirl
    Free Member

I heard kids using this 'can I get' at Latitude this year. I was horrified and hope I've dragged me own kids up better than that! It's awful!

5thElefant
    Free Member

I thought it was a yoof thing, then one of my 40-something friends used it in a pub. The ever-evolving use of our language. It's why we're not French.

GlenMore
    Free Member

Surely "can I get" is only acceptable when the speaker is going to provide the item for themselves?

Can I get a coffee?

Yes – help yourself

RichPenny
    Free Member

shouldn't it be "please may I have a latte?"

Shudder. It's ALWAYS double espresso and 3 sugars 😈

CJWeekes
    Free Member

It's not just the kids using it. Seems to be people from all walks of life. It's taking over…

AndyP
    Free Member

3 sugars

shudder

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

NAh, Please may I have a mug of tea with my Beans on. (UK) 😕

Cafe culture is bizz unless your outside the UK. 😳

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Funny thing the English language isn't it. People the world over come up with different ways of using it. Some things catch on and somethings don't. What a crazy idea eh? Still, if it winds up flashy and his likes, I'll be using it. 😛

Mog
    Free Member

I asked a woman in front of me in the cafe by work if she'd been served. She said she had and that she was 'waiting on a latte.'
    'On' a latte??

Kramer
    Free Member

I've found using 'please may I' to be very successful in the past.

jojoA1
    Free Member

You should really say "café latte" otherwise you might just get milk.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I'm more concerned that everybody uses "please" when they ask and "thanks" when they get – that's the most important bit.

falkirk_mark
    Free Member

there is a lot of people on here that can't spoke right.
    there is also a lot of people who clearly have not enough things to worry about. (choice of tyres and who may or may not be reading the daily mail etc)

nickc

I think if you're getting annoyed about what other people are saying in the queue for coffee, you've probably had sufficient coffee already, and should leave the shop…

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

'Take a p*ss' is another one – take it where? You're English, you bell end, not American! You 'have' a p*ss, not take one. Give me bloody strength!

john_drummer
    Free Member

yeah, you 'take a leak'

and as for "better than half price" – better for whom? The customer or the retailer? The correct arrangement of words is "Less than half price", or is that too difficult?

"can I get?" of course you can, that's why you came here isn't it, you dolt?

NZCol

I am a mild mannered person but I have taken to conducting a one man war on the sh1t writing standards in the Wellington paper.

Yesterdays brilliant sport headline read "Dye has been cast for All Blacks in crucial test". And Dye/All Blacks most certainly was not a pun.

DYE ! w..t…f, DICE my friend or DICES could work, plural of DIE. Their copy editor emailed me back and said "Thanks, didn't know that !!!" A COPY EDITOR FFS.
    I only buy it as it is thick and gives me plenty of paper to light the log burner…

john_drummer
    Free Member

usually "the die has been cast" refers not to a die (multiple – dice, often a cube but sometimes 4 or more faces, all numbered) but to the process of casting, usually something in a mould.

Never bought a "die-cast metal" Dinky or Corgi model?

scaredypants

'Take a p*ss' is another one – take it where? You're English, you bell end, not American! You 'have' a p*ss, not take one. Give me bloody strength!

you want to "have" a piss – in the same way that terra wants to "have" a coffee ? 😯 😳

next time I do a piss I'll bottle it for you

langy
    Free Member

@jojoA1 – as my wife very nearly found out in Italy this year!

The barista asked her again with a puzzled look if she wanted just milk – as an Aussie with very limited foreign language skills, she looked to me for help only to find me biting my knuckles trying not to laugh!! Fortunately she saw the funny side; and didn't make that mistake again for the rest of the week.

There was a very good interview I read ages back with a Quebecois who wanted to know what the deal was with "taking a s**t" (it was in relation to many of his American colleagues stirring him up about his English when he was first learning) – says much about how barstardised the English language is!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

can I get a witness ?
    to pointless head-in-the-sand-lingistic-foot-dragging…

Here's how it works: you get to choose how you speak. Everyone else has the same choice. You are also allowed to pretend you don't understand people who use idioms you dislike, if you're an arse 🙂

CountZero

simonfbarnes – Member
    can I get a witness ?
    to pointless head-in-the-sand-lingistic-foot-dragging…
    Here's how it works: you get to choose how you speak. Everyone else has the same choice. You are also allowed to pretend you don't understand people who use idioms you dislike, if you're an arse

I'm an arse, then, 'cos I don't have a clue what the first two lines are supposed to mean.
    A witness? To what, pray tell?

duntmatter
    Free Member

simonfbarnes has it, or gets it, or takes it. Get me?

BTW, it's lattay not lartay, you aspirational bean juice suckers.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

'cos I don't have a clue what the first two lines are supposed to mean.

the first line is a quote from a 1963 hit song by Marvin Gaye 🙂
    the 2nd is in English

nickc

Do the haters still regret the Great Vowel Shift, I wonder..?

duntmatter
    Free Member

Yes. Southern fashion-led ponces.
    😛

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

you got me a latte, right…GRRR! what the hell is that supposed to infer? i just want to answer-WRONG

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

what the hell is that supposed to infer?

might you mean "imply" ??

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

whatever 😉

Writers frequently misuse infer when imply (= hint at; suggest) would be the correct word—e.g.: “And no team is, of course, inferring [read implying ] that Dallas isn't talented.” ( New York Times; Jan. 12, 1996.) Remember: a speaker or writer implies something without putting it expressly. A listener or reader infers beyond what has been literally expressed. Or, as Theodore Bernstein put it, “The implier is the pitcher; the inferrer is the catcher.” ( The Careful Writer; 1965.) Stylists agree that the important distinction between these words deserves to be maintained

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

whatever

what, you mean like "people can express themselves whatever way they like" ??

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘'can I get…'’ is closed to new replies.