Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Can I freeze white wine?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Got a box of white wine (in a bag), and want to take it camping so won't have a fridge handy to keep it chilled.

Wondering if I can freeze it and hope it defrosts out in time for drinking without

A) popping the bag
    B) ruining the wine

Will it?

gusamc
    Free Member

Dunk in nearby stream.
    Coolboox/bag ?

TooTall
    Free Member

Buying wine in a box and wondering whether you can ruin it?

Erm – use a cool box / cool bag? Then food can also be kept cold.

CHB

yes you can freeze it.
    One word of warning though, you will need to defrost COMPLETELY before drinking otherwise you will get the alcohol out of the tap and leave water crytals behind (like that crap COORS beer!).

wombat

You can freeze just about anything, the question is will it be drinkable/useable once it defrosts 😉

As for wine, I don't know if it'll still be any good but you never know….

john_drummer
    Free Member

you could try a small experiment. Nigella Lawson regularly freezes left over wine in small plastic bags, ready to use for cooking with.

Next time you open a bottle, save a glass & pour it into a plastic bag (food/freezer bag; carrier bags tend to have holes in them), then bung it in the freezer. Leave it a couple of days, then take it out again. Let it defrost & then try it. If it's cr@p you have your answer

Or plan B you could find a Co-op near the camp site & buy a bottle already chilled as you need it.

sockpuppet

i cant see it being a problem – bag/box should accommodate the extra volume as it freezes without bursting, wine unlikely to be ruined, although it ma no long be at it's best

but then, white wine, in a box, while camping – surely any wine-tasting activities are not high on the list?

or take red!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

it'll be fine, out fridge thermostat is broken so everythings freezing, £8 bottle of white wine still tastes like an £8 bottle of white wine, i think im right in saying theres nothing in there that'll be affected by low temperatures.

cris2per
    Free Member

{Edit – Let’s try it without the spam then…}

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Thread resurrection of the year

All it needs now if for someone to come along and explain a strange sight they’ve seen whilst out on a bike ride.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’re drinking an entire box of wine at one sitting ❓

Chapeau!

EDIT: Spam?

Jamie
    Free Member

Wine while camping?

Well La De Da!

allthepies
    Free Member

SPAMtastic thread resurrection

Jamie
    Free Member

@allthepies

A STW thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

elaineanne
    Free Member

eh ? why not just leave it as it is ? we have below zero temperatures at the mo imo, i cant see we are suddenly going to get tropical weather any time soon. yeah stick it in a nearby stream if you insist on it being chilled… 😕

Jamie
    Free Member

elaine anne:

eh ? why not just leave it as it is ? we have below zero temperatures at the mo imo, i cant see we are suddenly going to get tropical weather any time soon.

*snigger*

z1ppy

as an aside on this subject: “Nigella Lawson regularly freezes left over wine in small plastic bags, ready to use for cooking with.”

As wine won’t actually properly freeze (close but not totally) and as mentioned it can seep out of plastic bags, I’ve put our old wine into ice cube containers, makes it easier to cook with…

cynic-al
    Free Member

*points and laughs*

pixelmix
    Free Member

You’ll want to freeze wine to stop the milk going off surely?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Can I freeze white wine?’ is closed to new replies.