Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Can I flip my granny ring??
  • topangarider
    Free Member

I have the above crankset and the granny ring is starting to look a bit worn. I'll eventually replace it with a steel one (prob deore or should I think about something else?), but in the meantime, can I just flip it over as it has no ramps/pins etc?

Cheers

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah, flip it. I've done it.

You can generally pick up Deore steel granny rings for a couple of quid when the fashionistas get rid of them. 🙂

topangarider
    Free Member

Sorry – meant to say its the XT crankset with the crap aluminium granny ring with no ramps.

clubber
    Free Member

Yes, it's fine – if there are no ramps/etc then it'll work just the same.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

there are never ramps on granny rings, but yers, replace it with a deore one if you want it to last.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Providing there's no countersink that the bolts fit into, flipping it should be fine.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

my alloy XT inner has countersunk holes, not sure what effect they would have if the bolts are long enough

mr_mills
    Free Member

On an M770 they are countersunk.

topangarider
    Free Member

Yup – its the 770 with countersunk – will it be that much of a problem?

bigdonx
    Free Member

Reversing may make your granny/middle shift a bit less slick. I think the teeth spacing is optimised for it to work best in one direction only. But shouldn't be a major problem – just might be a bit clunky………might be fine.

z1ppy

just file the hook's off the teeth and leave it be. If there's no hooks, then it's not worn…

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Even more bodge-tastic – leave it the right way round, but rotate through 90 deg so the teeth that see most loaded most often are now in a 'dead-er' spot in the pedalling cycle…..

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

or remove it completely, granny rings are for wimps. In fact remove your middle and fit a 86t big ring and a 11-11t 9spd cassette. Thats for real men.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think the teeth spacing is optimised for it to work best in one direction only.

surely it would be OK if you reversed the chain too ? Just look for the direction markers…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

this reminds me of the 4 day underpants plan:
    day 1: normal
    day 2: backwards
    day 3: inside out
    day 4: inside out & backwards

mr_mills
    Free Member

If you reverse it the bike will go backwards when you pedal.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

silly, you just have to pedal backwards!

mr_mills
    Free Member

silly, you just have to pedal backwards!

But then what about the direction arrows on the chain?

Hmmm tricky one.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

But then what about the direction arrows on the chain?

unless you buy the cheaper "clockwise only" variety ?

theflatboy
    Free Member

bristolbiker – Member

Even more bodge-tastic – leave it the right way round, but rotate through 90 deg so the teeth that see most loaded most often are now in a 'dead-er' spot in the pedalling cycle…..

as an artist not a engineer ( 😆 ) i'm intrigued to know if this is accurate/would actually work?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Flip it, she'll thank you for it…….

ziggy
    Free Member

As it happens some road Shimano chains are designed to only rotate in one direction.

I doubt rotating the chainring 90 degrees would make any difference.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

As it happens some road Shimano chains are designed to only rotate in one direction

photos ? It's not April 1 yet you know…

eeek:

# Inner and outer plates optimise shifting over the chainset and cassette
    # Outer plate designed to reduce the chance of chain suck

I'm still not sure it's not a joke…

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I doubt rotating the chainring 90 degrees would make any difference

I can squeeze another monthor so out of outer road chain ring like this. Yes, it isn't ideal and the shifting pins are in the wrong place….. but I like to change the transmission on the commuter in the spring, so the new-ness of a fresh chain/cassette/rings lasts as long as possible through spring/summer before the kack of autumn/winter gets at it again! 😉

mr_mills
    Free Member

# Inner and outer plates optimise shifting over the chainset and cassette
    # Outer plate designed to reduce the chance of chain suck

I'm still not sure it's not a joke…

Errr all chains have inner and outer plates! The inner ones are the narrow bit of the chain and the outer ones are the wide bit of the chain!

ziggy
    Free Member

Nope it's fact, sorry FACT.

Profiled to shift better, which kinda makes sense.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

inner and outer outer plates I assumed…

bigdonx
    Free Member

I think the teeth spacing is optimised for it to work best in one direction only

Aye, on reading that back it does sound a bit div-tastic! What I was trying to say was that the tooth spacing relative to the bolt pattern is different if you reverse it – hence the recommendation that the chainrings must be fitted with the writing pointing out (or in, or what ever) with the wee tag things lined up………….

coffeeking
    Free Member

As for going back to the countersinking – if you dont have a good solid surface to torque up against you'll deflect the material when some is supported and other bits are not. If the countersink is smaller than the surface it bolts up against you should have no problems other than greater possibility of slippage. Oh, and look for whether the ring is slightly off-centre from the arms (as in chain line, not as in biopace!)

rkk01
    Free Member

Can I flip my granny ring??

Sounds a bit pervy to me…

Is it legal?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

What I was trying to say was that the tooth spacing relative to the bolt pattern is different if you reverse it

but as 4 doesn't go into 22 the quadrants are already different, and anyway the little ring doesn't have any lifting pins or owt. But my joke revealed the info that there are handed chains only designed to run one way round, which I'd never have believed!

coffeeking
    Free Member

What I was trying to say was that the tooth spacing relative to the bolt pattern is different if you reverse it – hence the recommendation that the chainrings must be fitted with the writing pointing out (or in, or what ever) with the wee tag things lined up………….

Most rings are designed to run one way due to ramping and pins that prevent chain fall-off. But the granny has none of these usually, and it's orientation relative to the arm is unimportant.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

The BlackSpire Chuck ring is a brilliant steel replacement granny. If your not anal about weight they take a good pounding too. You can get them for under a tenner usually.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Can I flip my granny ring??’ is closed to new replies.