• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Can I drive a minibus…
  • eckinspain
    Free Member

with my normal car licence (which I passed about 18 years ago)?

I'm looking to hire a minibus and on the company website it says I need the D1 category on my driving licence, but on the DVLA website it says that anyone who passed their driving test before 1997 doesn't need the D1 to drive a minibus.

Also, is it difficult?

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I passed my test in 1987, and had (until recently) the D category on it. It will say on the reverse of your licence what categories you are allowed to drive. Might need to recall that some medical conditions prevent D category driving (epilepsey comes to mind, not sure if diabetes also prevents a D cat licence – I realise that this probably doesn't apply to you, but you need to consider it.)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I thought it depended on how many passengers you are carrying (I thought it was up to 12 passengers on a normal full licence, otherwise a PSV was required).

matthewlhome
    Free Member

you probably can. look at the pictures on the back of your licence and it will say if you can do. I took my test in 95 or 96 and i could – did it for uni and it was ok up to 15 passengers i think. it is all written on the paper bit of the licence though.

just remember that you have to stick to lower speed limits and everyone on the bus you are driving will give you stick all the time. and you then have to drive them all back from the pub 🙁

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Think it depends when you passed your test, towing restrictions are the same too

Just looked on mine and it appears D1 is the minibus category

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Have you actually looked at your licence. You will most probably find you have the D1 catagory on it.

Not sure of dates but those of us (and you) passing our test back then got 'granddfather rights' and dont need to pass a test. I have however heard of people losing these rights when they changed to a new style licence so to be safe, check your licence catagories

eckinspain
    Free Member

Yeah, I can't wait to drive a bunch of pissed up talkative Spaniards around the Highlands!

trail_rat
    Free Member

long as your not being paid that is !

coffeeking
    Free Member

IIRC you can drive a Cat D1 even with the newer license types (up to 16 passengers) but only if it's not for profit or for a non-profit organisation (i.e. not a company minibus, not if you're taxi-ing with it or have offered to drive for some return cash/present). Just read your license, it tells you.

flyingmonkeycorps

If you passed your test BEFORE 1st of Jan 1997 you have the D1 category on it and you can drive a minibus. If you passed it AFTER, you don't but you can still drive a minibus with the provisos coffeeking mentions.

It's all on the DVLA site, but it's not that clear.

eckinspain
    Free Member

thanks. I'm not doing it for profit – just for a bunch of mates. I will try to find my licence at home though I lost the original several years ago and so now have the new card style one – hope I haven't lost my minibus-capability!

jd-boy
    Free Member

If you passed your test pre 97 you can drive a mini bus, tow a trailer/caravan. without a further test, BUT if you are driving the bus for hire or reward then you need a PSV, question is are you driving the bus for work and being paid, then you come into hire or reward, its an arse, I drive for national/alamo 2 days a week, we all had to get taco cards 2 years ago because we drive mini buses, then the good old DVLA decided that this was not needed, If you drive a mini bus in Europe (not our bit) you need a taco card.
    You can drive up to 15 seats.
    And yes, if you send your licence in to get points put on, change of address put a covering letter in saying that all the "CATS" to be left on, otherwise they may remove them.
    I still dont understand why teachers dont have to do a full PSV to drive the school mini bus with kids in.

Drac

Jd-boy has it right and as others have said they sometimes mess up and categories are removed. You can still drive them but makes it difficult to hire one when you present your licence and the categories not there. If this has happened you need to get in touch and have them put back on.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Can I drive a minibus…’ is closed to new replies.