Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • can i drill my dt5.1 rims
  • bomberman
    Free Member

to fit scrader valves or will it compromise them? it’d be done by my lbs mainly for the reason that i don’t want to have to buy new inner tubes and i use a car foot pump as i don’t have a track pump. they’re brand new. anyone else done it?

Tracey

Yes done it on mine

Tracey

theflatboy
    Free Member

if you do it neatly and carefully and file it round afterwards, i would have thought you’d be fine.

cue a stream of horror stories!

Onzadog
    Free Member

should be fine. I’ve done it to Mavics before without issue.

mudshark
    Free Member

You may as well add a small hole between each spoke – don’t really need all that material and would save some weight.

Warning: might not be safe.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Just a thought, but how about using the money you’d be paying to your LBS to buy a track pump! 😀

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Done it on Mavic rims, lasted for years, didn’t even cross my mind at the time it might be dodgy 😳

nickc

Won’t make any difference to the rim at all. Crack on

bomberman
    Free Member

Just a thought, but how about using the money you’d be paying to your LBS to buy a track pump!

obviously you can’t add up

DM52
    Free Member

Whilst combining power tools and bike maintenance ticks quite a few boxes of manly things to do, rarely I have found the drill to be the answer! 🙂

I see this as the perfect opportunity to buy the DT RimStrip and go tubeless.

You can also get a brass doofer to screw onto the Presta valves that then allows footpump / car tyre inflater use; http://www.justridingalong.com/?product=805 (Chainreaction do them for £1.99) but are out of stock).

firestarter
    Free Member

lol at nickc 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve been drilling out valve holes for years, it’s a tiny amount of metal to remove. Just make sure you file it smooth afterwards. No problmeo!

flamejob
    Free Member

I see this as the perfect opportunity to buy the DT RimStrip and go tubeless.

… or you could scoop your eyes out with spoons

Get the drill out!

stevomcd
    Free Member

obviously you can’t add up

Wasn’t being entirely serious there (hence the :D), but really, you can get a track pump for £20. Seems a bit daft to go taking a drill to an expensive piece of kit.

bomberman
    Free Member

i don’t think my lbs are gonna charge me 20 quid to drill a couple of rims when i’m paying them 60 quid to build the wheels up anyway. besides, i’ll need to replace the inner tubes i’m using which will cost me 4 quid each and i’ll want a spare for on the trails.

so a pump = 20 quid
    tubes = 12 quid

TOTAL 32 pounds!

that’s 32 pounds i could have spent on beer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘can i drill my dt5.1 rims’ is closed to new replies.