• This topic has 20 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Can I carry a sofa on car roof (with roofbars)?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Got to pick a sofa up for a friend, I have a Touran with roof bars. Can I fit it to these securely? Never tried anything like this before?

wwaswas

check the max weight allowed – a lot of cars (and the bars themselves) have a 50-100kg or so roof load limit.

Having said that, you can but make sure it’s well strapped down and you don;t go through any height restrictions…

We got a 2 seat sofa in the back of our megane grand scenic with the boot shut after an impulse purchase at Ikea. Personally, I’d try and keep it in the car and strap the hatch down if it sticks out a bit.

BigJohn

I have an estate with roof rails and a pair of roof bars across the car which I put all manner of things on, including 3 seater sofas. Put it on and make sure there’s no sign of buckling. Go a mile and make sure the straps are still tight.

nealglover
    Free Member

Never tried anything like this before?

Make sure you are with someone who understands how to secure it properly.

No offence intended, but If you have no experience, you will probably get it quite wrong.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Are you Mr Bean? If so it will somehow all work out.

BillMC

I sold a heavyish sofa and that went off on top of a not very large car. No problems however. Big thing is strapping it down sufficiently.

benp1

The sofa will be fine, just get some good ratchet or load straps. Bungees will be pants

The weight limit can be exceeded if you’re careful. I’ve had an 8×10 shed on my roof bars, dismantled, and rotten so even heavier than normal. I drove very carefully to the tip!

antimony
    Free Member

Think about wrapping it in cling film. It will protect it from light rain, squashed flies, bird poop etc.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Does it have wheels? 😆

sharkbait
    Free Member

Think about wrapping it in cling film pallet wrap off ebay.

bruneep

jota180
    Free Member

I will tie down much easier if it’ll fit on the bars upside down.

dknwhy

You’ll be fine. Put the cushions in the car, ratchet strap across the width to the bars at each end and then a third strap front to back for countering acceleration and braking.

I took a 3 and 2 seater on my old vectra once – turned the 2 seater upside down into the 3.

Tracey

Would try and get it inside first. Moved sofas, beds, wardrobes and all kinds of stuff in our Grand Picasso. Never had to fit the roof bars.

matt_outandabout

I have a pic somewhere of sofa on roof of car, with two friends on reading the papers…

tiggs121
    Free Member

Yes you can!

tom200

Sod the roof rack. I got a big 3 seater in the back of an Audi A2!

nealglover
    Free Member

No offence intended, but If you have no experience, you will probably get it quite wrong.

See micra pic above for details 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

Would a couple of 25mm ratchet straps do the job?

antigee

if anything goes wrong and someone gets killed its just another “accident”

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/main-topics/local-stories/anger-as-driver-walks-free-after-fatal-crash-caused-by-falling-bed-1-3025514

tip – don’t use an old washing line you find in the garden

saw the aftermath of this and not something you forget in a hurry

JoeG
    Free Member

It can be done.

Even a Smart car

Motorcycle

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Can I carry a sofa on car roof (with roofbars)?’ is closed to new replies.