Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Can get smallest sprocket on the back but…
  • konaboy2275
    Free Member

Right, having a prob with my inbred. I turned it back to geared last night with the intention of commuting on it now the woods near me have dried out a bit.

I can get all gears on the rear but on the smallest sprocket it sounds like the derailieur is trying to shift up. I’ve backed off the limit screws and this doesn’t cure it, the cable has some play (I backed the adjuster right off) and it is still making the noise and skipping under pressure. I bent the mech hanger ages ago and straightened it using some adjustable spanners, this is the only thing I can think of which would be causing the problem. Any other ideas of what could be causing it or suggestions on how to get the hanger back exactly in line other than by eye would be helpful!

Or do I have to buy a new frame 😉

ourkidsam
    Free Member

LBS probably have a tool to straighten the frame back up. The Bike Tree in Sheffield recently did my 456

It’s knacked, buy a new frame! 😉

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Thank you, I’ll inform the soon to be Mrs Konaboy that the wedding budget will have to be limited by £164 £300. 😉

anjs
    Free Member

Have you tried adjusting the b screw?

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Yep, doesn’t seem to make any diference. I may try bending the hanger out slightly tonight to see it it cures it. Other than that a trip to Cooksons at weekend is my next step.

anjs
    Free Member

cassette and freehub on correctly, Wheel straight in drop outs?

soobalias
    Free Member

what rear mech is it?

retro83
    Free Member

check spring tension on rear mech, if it’s a SRAM mech it may have the same problem as mine did:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rear-mech-has-no-spring-tension

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

dereilieur straightening tool is ~£35 on wiggle

is the chain catching on the frame?

rob
    Free Member

check the locking ring is not to big
    had the same trouble when i swaped back to gears
    11-32t rear cogs use a smaller ring than the one that came with the singlespeed kit

konaboy2275
    Free Member

It has a deore deraileur, can’t see anything catching, chain has around 2-3mm clearance from the frame. The derailieur seems to be at its limit so getting pretty convinced it’s the hanger which is not straight.

Cheers for all the advice so far!

Keva
    Free Member

I had rear mech problems for about six months several years ago until I bought a new hanger. Couldn’t even see that the one I had was slightly bent, but a new one cured the gear problems…

Kev

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Can get smallest sprocket on the back but…’ is closed to new replies.