Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • can disc brake cleaner be used on electrics?
  • sadexpunk

need to clean some contacts on my amp, and havent got any electrical spray (isopropyl?). but i do have some disc brake cleaner. is it the same stuff?

cheers

Cougar

RTFL? What’s it say on the label?

sadexpunk

er…..that it cleans disc brakes and prevents them squealing. amazingly enough doesnt mention electrics.

thanks for your advice.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Juice Lubes Fork Juice doesn’t specifically say on the label that you can use it to buff your car’s plastics to a showroom sheen either. 😉

Cougar

My point is, it should say on it what it contains, even if it’s just the active / hazardous ingredients.

Cougar

Failing that, we could perhaps help you search for a COSHH data sheet, if you actually told us what it was.

Otherwise, we’re flying blind. I could say “yeah, it’ll be fine” based on my experiences with Muc-Off disc cleaner(*) which is made from isopropyl alcohol and the tears of baby dolphins, and then it turns out that you’ve got Tesco Value cleaner which is made from hydrochloric acid and rattlesnake venom.

(* – for example purposes only, I’ve no idea as to either Muc-Off’s ABV or its ppm of saline porpoise secretions)

sadexpunk

nope, it doesn’t. just wondered if anyone could give me a simple answer. seems to be quite difficult to get sensible answers on here these days :-/

Cougar

In order to get simple answers, one has to pose meaningful questions. “I’ve got some stuff in a bottle, guess what it is” isn’t overly helpful.

LoCo
    Free Member

Some says it’s brake cleaner/contact cleaner, personally I’d go for straight contact cleaner/electrical cleaner.

sadexpunk

I didn’t say I had ‘ some stuff in a bottle’. I said it was disc brake cleaner. that may be enough info for some people.
    sheesh :-/

Cougar

Is all ‘disc cleaner’ exactly the same stuff then?

Is there a brand, a product name? Don’t give me “sheesh,” would you rather I went “yeah, it’s perfectly safe to use” and then it later transpires that the stuff you have is different to the stuff I have and it makes a right mess of your kit?

Actually, you know what, I don’t care any more. I use an IPA aerosol spray to clean my discs so yes, it’s perfectly safe to use, knock yourself out.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘can disc brake cleaner be used on electrics?’ is closed to new replies.