Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Can charities knock on your door asking for money still?
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Just wondering, as had a charming young lady at my door asking for cash for the Red Cross.

She never mentioned Haiti strangely enough tho.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I had the same Charity knocking on my door last week.

ton

we had some young blokes last week asking for oxfam…..
    they did not look like the type of lad's working for oxfam.

julianwilson
    Free Member

iirc they only take direct debits these days not cash.
    But then they are paid a comission for this and would probably get followed and mugged…

Coyote
    Free Member

They can ask…

Jamie
    Free Member

iirc they only take direct debits these days not cash.

Well it never got that fair as i told her i already donate to my chosen local charities via DD. I was just curious as it seems a bit close to cold calling, which i thought was frowned upon.

vinnyeh

Red Cross knocked on our door last week as well, collector (Swedish girl) didn't look like she was out to line her own pockets.
    Had an older fellow knocking fro something else a couple of nights later fro a homeless charity- questioned him, and he said he was being paid to collect.

crankboy
    Free Member

Call me tight fisted but we get these chuggers in the street and at home, the conversation normally runs along these lines:-
    them "i'm collecting for xxxxxx it's wonderfull and does fab things "
    me " are you a volenteer or are you directly employed by xxxxxx"
    them " i'm not employed by them as such but i'm collecting on their behalf they are wonderfull"
    me "so you work for an agency "
    them" all charitys use agencys to maximise revenue"
    me " but if i give to xxxxxx direct they will not have to pay for your time your employers admin or any bank fees will they".

In leeds you seem the same people collecting for different charities week in week out.

(I do genuinly give at the office on the occasions i feel motivated to do so, but i find it odd to pay professional fund raisers a wage and a profit margin when they collect for a charity that has it's own overheads)

Northwind

Crankboy:

them" all charitys use agencys to maximise revenue"
    me " but if i give to xxxxxx direct they will not have to pay for your time your employers admin or any bank fees will they".

I saw the numbers Amnesty produced for this- they reckon that the extra donations exceed the cost something like 4 to 1. Looked at like that, it's pretty much a no brainer. Mind you Amnesty's people are very, very good.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Can charities knock on your door asking for money still?’ is closed to new replies.