Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Can black DT Swiss spokes be polished to silver?
  • packer
    Free Member

I realise that this would be a pretty painstaking task but is it possible? Does the black coating come off?

poppa
    Free Member

😯

stumpy01

😯 +1

I’d have thought you could do it, but would probably be better for your sanity to have the wheel relaced with uncoated spokes.

Waderider
    Free Member

A fine idea, may stop them breaking in the future…..

rootes1

you could remove the black oxide…..

but… you would be better just buying silver coloured spokes…

packer
    Free Member

Yeah but if you had a load of black ones already but you really wanted silver ones it could be an option…!

So has anyone actually tried to remove the coating – how easily does it come off?

aP
    Free Member

Do you have a lot of time to spare?
    It’ll make them relatively speaking about the same price as Ti spokes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sell on classifieds & buy what you want.

Trimix
    Free Member

Be careful when you remove the coating, if you remove it by rubbing them sideways it will weaken them. You need to remove it by rubbing them in the same axis that the tension is in.

packer
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips. Guess I could try selling them, but they are a very uncommon length (280mm) so probably won’t sell. The polishing could be quite therapeutic to do whilst watching TV or something…

Trimix
    Free Member

Second hand spokes for sale – imagine the questions you will get asked. Id want to know if they were ever jet washed, or what torque they had been adjusted to or if they were run tubless or not…….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Can black DT Swiss spokes be polished to silver?’ is closed to new replies.