Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Can beer/larger be used as a recovery drink?
  • SilentSparky
    Free Member

Took the long route home from work, 25 miles + 14 miles in the morning. Feel I should rehydrate a bit, would beer suffice 8)

Stu_N

I’m nearly sure it doesn’t work, but maybe I’m just not getting the mix right? Trying isotonic sports Burgundy tonight.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Beer yes.
    Lager yes.
    Larger no.

😉

carlos
    Free Member

Dunno about beer but Budvar’s working for me tonight after a 35 mile road ride in the glorious sunshine

stevemtb
    Free Member

One of my mates (who really doesn’t drink) swears by one lager after really tough exercise as a recovery drink. I have felt better having one after exercise but not if I have a lot more!!

Having someone hand you one after finishing 10 under the Ben, necking half of it when pretty much ready to fall over doesn’t help anything though…

SilentSparky
    Free Member

I had a isotonic drink when I walked in the door, 2 lagers down and it seems to be working well, need to go for a wee = rehydrated right 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well, might not be quite ‘scientific’, but I’ve found that a pint or can after a long ride definitely helps to relax the muscles, and avoid cramp. I very rarely, if ever, suffer from cramp if I have a beer or two after a long one.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Define recovery?

onehundredthidiot

High water content, with complex carbohydrates and a mild analgesic. Perfect.

The very mild diuretic effect is overwhelmed by the volume of water.

Coyote
    Free Member

OF COURSE IT CAN!!!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

erdinger alkoholfrei is actually marketed as an isotonic sports recovery drink in germany (and they sponsor a triathlon team, and sell branded tri and cycling clothing too).
    not sure if the alcoholic version has less of an effect or no though…

MrSmith
    Free Member

“Many athletes are aware that post workout nutrition is an essential part of the recovery process. Resynthesis of liver and muscle glycogen stores are the primary goal of recovery nutrition. Unfortunately, some athletes have been known to consume an alcoholic beverage when the event or exercise period is over. Barnes, et all studied the effects of alcohol consumption in the post workout period and the relationship to strength. While decreases in peak strength are typically observed in this post workout period, peak strength loss was significantly greater in a group that consumed an alcoholic beverage in the recovery period as compared to the group that consumed a carbohydrate beverage alone (4). The results of this study show that to minimize exercise related losses in muscle function and to enhance muscular recovery, athletes should avoid alcohol containing beverages in the post event period (4). Burke, et al also studied the effect of alcohol intake on muscle glycogen storage after prolonged exercise. While the main effect of alcohol intake
    on post-exercise muscle glycogen is unclear, the main effect of alcohol intake is indirect, by displacing carbohydrate as a recovery beverage (5). It is well accepted that carbohydrate intake in the post-event period is beneficial to recovery.
    Fat Storage
    Alcohol interferes with the metabolism of fat and carbohydrates. The body uses the energy obtained from alcohol for energy but does not store it as glycogen. So, the body uses the energy obtained from the alcohol and diverts the energy available for the carbohydrates and fat consumed into fat storage. This may lead to an increase in body fat that may not be desirable.
    Still, more interference with alcohol and performance exist. Alcohol also negatively affects sleep, another important component of the recovery process. Others include amino acid metabolism, lactic acid metabolism, reduced serum testosterone levels and thermoregulation.”

alpin
    Free Member

alkoholfrei weizen….!
    yes, isotonic.
    mmmm…..

that of erdinger or schneider weisse are the nicest, ime.

emma82
    Free Member

Yes 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Well from today’s experience it’s certainly not good as a pre-exercise drink!

Bez

This worked splendidly for me one hot day. Lager for main course, Orangina for pudding.

Travis

Can beer/larger be used as a recovery drink?

In the instance of Hair of the Dog… yes

If I’m out on a Thursday night ride we always end up at the pub. The general concensus between mates is that drinking lager after a hard ride makes you feel like crap the next day.

Ringo
    Free Member

To be honest a night ride should always end with a pint. End of

Too right Ringo – I think it’s the three or four after that, that cause the problems 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Scientifically proven! Beer is good for you post-excercise! 😀

I knew this anyway though. 8)

carlos
    Free Member

Well in the interest of science I thought I’d try the theory again today, and I can report that it also works after a blast out on the Mtb. 😉

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Can beer/larger be used as a recovery drink?’ is closed to new replies.