Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • can anyone understand the cyrillic languages?
  • rOcKeTdOg

saw this in a welsh grave yard (as you do) and wondered if it told anything of the story of why it was there between all the Jones, Davies and williams’s

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Don’t know, but whoever it was I hope they were hygienically burried – you never know with these foreign types if they were shot, diseased or anything else.

jamj1974

Take a photo to your nearest Eastern Orthodox Church. They may be able to help you.

SaxonRider

It says ‘Memory forever – Here lies Andriy Zacharchiv Sosa’ Then I can’t read what comes after the dates, until the last line, which says ‘Everlasting memory’.

These are the words of the Panachyda – the service sung at the end of a Ukrainian or Russian Orthodox funeral, and on all occasions when the dead are remembered.

The man buried there will have been one of the many Ukrainians who came to Wales after WWII to work in the mines.

I am very curious: What cemetery is that?

PS: Wales has a long history in connection with Ukraine. It was a Welsh journalist, Gareth Jones, who bravely risked his own life to report on the forced famine (Holodomor) in 1932.

SaxonRider

jamj1974 – Member
    Take a photo to your nearest Eastern Orthodox Church. They may be able to help you.

Excellent idea. Just stay more specifically Ukrainian. You never know who might greet you. 8)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Born 1901, died 19th of January 1948.

doris5000

it’s Ukranian, he was called Andriy Zakarkiv Sosa, and he seems to have been from here –

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hradyzk

i don’t know what the first 2 lines or the last line says though. 🙂

SaxonRider

You Ukrainian, Doris5000?

doris5000

Hey Saxonrider, we should start a detective agency 😉

rOcKeTdOg

Cheers Guys it’s in Llanon, west Wales

doris5000

You Ukrainian, Doris5000?

no, but i dated a russian speaker for a few years way back when… these days i can’t remember much of the language but i can still read the alphabet. Are you?

BillMC

Fascinating!

SaxonRider

Sort of. My grandparents came from there (Naznaya Chortiza) although they were ethnic Germans. My wife is also half Ukrainian.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ll just send it to the Russian babe I keep in an apartment in Moscow….

almightydutch
    Free Member

If you’re still in the area Rocketdog, get down to the Quay in Aberaeron and get yourself one of the honey ice creams they do…..very very fond memories of that stuff from the annual trips each year as a kid

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘can anyone understand the cyrillic languages?’ is closed to new replies.