Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Can anyone tell me what this is? Bird of Prey content
  • Tango-Man
    Free Member

[img]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd376/chrisaldred68/IMAG0024.jpg?t=1304512184[/img]

Found sat on a post in North Wales, very weak, taken to a wild bird sanctuary, first thought was an immature Buzzard, but, doesn’t look like one, about 14 inches

Chris

j_me
    Free Member

Small pic but I’m pretty sure that’s a female peregrine falcon. Good spot.

Edit – that’s better!…reviewing the bigger pic it looks like it might be a female hobby.

DezB
    Free Member

I reckon its a crow 😉

(Wow, lovely pic.)

spacehopper

Peregrine Falcon..

brilliant pic of an awesome bird…

Drac

Baby Robin killer.

oddjob
    Free Member

Cool pic.

Used to have peregrine falcons nesting in the quarry where I worked many years ago. Cool birds

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    Baby Robin killer.

Err, no – it’s not a photo of my cat!

plumber
    Free Member

I’d be more inclined to say peregrine/saker cross

SaxonRider

My son, who LOVES birds, has just looked it up in his bird book and insists it’s definitely a buzzard.

It must be, therefore, a buzzard.

Dudie
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure it’s a juvenile peregrine – looks a lot like one. However, could also be an escapee cross of any manner of big captive-bred falcon – peregrine/saker/gyr etc. Huge colour variation possible. Wasn’t anywhere near the Clocaenog forest was it? Pen y Bryn Falconry is currently training a young saker/gyr that has a habit of going AWOL. It is usually fitted with telemetry and I think it may be a bit darker than the one in the pic (which is great btw!) but might be worth giving them a call.

CountZero

My son, who LOVES birds, has just looked it up in his bird book and insists it’s definitely a buzzard.

It must be, therefore, a buzzard.

Sorry but that’s rubbish. It’s nothing like a buzzard, other than the fact it’s a raptor.
    I do go along with the theory it’s a juvenile or a peregrine cross. If it’s a cross, then it ought to be ringed, with contact details.
    This is a peregrine/saker IIRC:

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

It’s a surly faced shitehawk

boxelder

That’s way out tadeuszkrieger – I teach many SFS’s on a daily basis.
    That’s a boz-eyed egret.

oldgit
    Free Member

I thought a Buzzard, we get a lot here.
    Got the right colours, brown and brown flecked chest, yellow legs.
    No expert though.

Perigrines are blue/grey’ish aren’t they?

Tell I’ve been on loads of the local forestry bird watching courses can’t you. The long dark patches dropping away from the eyes suggest a Hobby, but I’ve never seen one. Everything else looks Buzzard’ish apart from those eye markings.
    Surely someone knows.

j_me
    Free Member

females are a brownish colour – both sexes have that distinctive ‘tache though.

willard

It looks quite grumpy in the first pic, whatever it is.

Cracking photos though

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s a Muslamic Gay Swan

oldgit
    Free Member

I take it back now. I said Buzzard, then Hobby. I now also think it’s a juvenile Perigrine.

We get a fair few Buzzards here, in Leighton Buzzard! It’s proper hard to identify these birds from piccies.

This is always what I was led to believe a Perigrine Falcon would look like.

matt_outandabout

Baby robin – see the quality of singletrackworld bird ID on here: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/any-twitchers-in-the-house

matt_outandabout

(Female Peregrine BTW)

bullheart
    Free Member

That is not a Buzzard, by any standards. Way too small.

I think that you might find it to be a Merlin actually.

j_me
    Free Member

Too big for a Merlin. They are proper tiny, like thrush sized.

Hobby.

bullheart
    Free Member

Average Merlin is between 26cm – 35cm. How big are the Thrushes where you live??!!

j_me
    Free Member

Same size as a merlin

song thrush stats
    Mistle thrush stats

OK…give or take a cm or two 🙂

bullheart
    Free Member

Have just spoken to my young Brother-in-Law, who has confirmed that it is indeed a female peregrine.

His credentials?

http://markgtelfer.co.uk/listing/10th/

Bloody geek…!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It looks quite grumpy in the first pic, whatever it is.

All birds of prey tend to look a bit grumpy.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

His credentials?

http://markgtelfer.co.uk/listing/10th/

Your link provided a fascinating and undoubtedly useful, recipe for ” Water-soluble mounting medium for genitalia “

……I’m popping down to the shops tomorrow to buy the ingredients.

crazy-legs

Peregrine, saker and gyr falcons come in all kinds of colour variants and cross breeding, it’s difficult to tell between them sometimes. I took a pic ages ago of a surprisingly tame falcon in some local woodland (pic was on fotopic so has now disappeared 👿 ) but it took me bloody ages (and some advice on here and from a local Bird of Prey centre) to work out it was a saker/gyr cross which had apparently gone AWOL from some breeder a week before.

Nice pic – the bird manages to look both bored and pissed off!

j_me
    Free Member

Rorschach
    Free Member

tadeuszkrieger – Member
    “It’s a surly faced shitehawk”
    Cue tea/keyboard interface 😆

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone tell me what this is? Bird of Prey content’ is closed to new replies.