Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Can anyone tell me about Rum please?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

I was in a nice restaurant last night and had some rum with my desert.

I had Ron Zacapa 23 yr old rum. really lovely.

Any pointers on it or similar and what to look out for?

MrSmith
    Free Member

rums can be quite different, i prefer rums from the english speaking colonies (Zacapa is from a spanish colony) the more you try the easier it is to find out what you like.
    i would steer clear of the popular mainstream rums like sailor jerry and morgans spiced they are poor in comparison to something from a quality producer like Zacapa. you have started with the good stuff so likely to be disappointed with the cheap stuff 🙂

my favourites are english harbour (Antigua) angostura 1919 (trinidad) el dorado (Guyana)

jam-bo

Rae and Nephew.

ahwiles
    Free Member

steaming weasel: Rum and coke with amaretto.

SNAFU: Cider and lime with Rum and ginger beer.

cockspur isn’t nice.

MrSmith
    Free Member

cockspur isn’t nice.

neither is fine rum adulterated with soft drinks

coolhandluke
    Free Member

you have started with the good stuff so likely to be disappointed with the cheap stuff

I had a “wallet trembling” feeling someone would say that!

Reign_Man
    Free Member

yep, once you get to the good stuff, its hard to go back. Personally,I like a light golden rum, especially from Barbados, on the odd occasion a dark rich rum can hit the spot though.

Some worth a try are gay extra old, cockspur extra old, or if yo can find it Pyrate pistol or Pyrate extra old (although Pyrate is a blended rum, it is very smooth, with a mellow taste).

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Mount Gay

bassspine
    Free Member

the camper the name the more mental the rum. Mount Gay, Pussers, Cockspur…

Keva
    Free Member

mount gay defo.

druidh
    Free Member

It used to be spelt Rhum, but that was because some arsehole landowner thought it looked more gaelic. Some nice wee mountains on it and it looks great on a clear day from the Skye Cuillin.

Kunstler

The midges are ferocious.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Rum is ace – that is all I have to say on the matter really. I spent a fair bit of time in south america/the carribean back in the mid 90’s and partook in truely unreasonable quantities of the stuff.

So long as it isn’t white it’s grand.

Well… within reason!

There is a wonderful bar in Belfast – Le Spaniard – which does very fine rum indeed.

epicyclo

Bundaberg rum. Brilliant stuff – you can sing, dance, and fight all night on one bottle. 🙂

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Bundy – it’s like distilled essence of Stella 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone tell me about Rum please?’ is closed to new replies.