Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Can anyone recommend me a plumber in Reading ?
  • Sundayjumper

I know there’s a few forum folk live in the area so thought it worth asking.

Simple job (aren’t they all!) to replace some taps, trace a leak from the hot water tank, find out why there’s no hot water going to the taps, and replace the shower curtain rail.

I do most DIY myself but I despise plumbing so would rather someone else did this !

weeksy

Yup, email me. Profile.

Sundayjumper

Right. Prices expected tomorrow. Anyone want to hazard a guess how much this is going to hurt me ??

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nope, plumbing always seems expensive to me so I DIY most of it!

If you need a second oppinion I’d recomend Allan Savage, he did our downstairs toilet and is currently doing the inlaws new shower room.

Sundayjumper

Nope, plumbing always seems expensive to me so I DIY most of it!

Same here normally, but plumbing is my least favourite DIY activity so I’m outsourcing it this time to see if it makes me happier. Cost/benefit of a nice weekend vs. wriggling around under a bath. I’ll keep Allan in mind for next time though.

Sundayjumper

An update to close this out.

Taps did not need replacing. One needed a new gland, the other just needed adjusting. Lack of hot water was a stuck ballcock, needed a tweak, now working fine. The occasional leak couldn’t be found.

Weeksy’s mate did the work, a guy called Graham Parsons from Newbury.

About 45 mins’ work, the bill was £160 labour + £27 for the new tap gland = £187.

jon1973
    Free Member

weeksy – do you fit / repair / clear macerators?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

About 45 mins’ work, the bill was £160 labour

I’m definitely doing a plumbing course! That’s on a par with Solicitors rates.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Just out of interest, how did he justify that rate?

weeksy

Because its not an hour. Its an hours work + 40 mins to get to the house and 40 mins back. People seem to forget that.

You take your broken heating system to him and his labour would be less. Lol.

Jon, its not me, just a bloke I know. I don’t even know what a macerator is. I’m guessing a garbage disposal chewer upper thing?

hooli

Did you get a quote first or was it a surprise when you got the bill?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

It’s still over £50 an hour for basic plumbing and driving a van.
    Oh tap glands are £5.49 for two from screwfix.

Sundayjumper

He’d told me he was £80/hr. I wasn’t actually there when the work was done, but as he’d been recommended I trusted him and paid the invoice – 2hrs @ £80/hr, plus £27 for a tap gland. It was the following week that someone mentioned the work had taken about 45 mins. So I guess the £80/hr must apply to travel too, to cover the cost of running a van.

I’m trying to get a price from him for some more work, it seems that for a bigger job it’s only £500/day (plus materials obvs) instead of £80/hr plus travel. The job is to move the kitchen sink along 100mm, which obviously requires cutting a new piece of worktop, and then connect a new dishwasher that will sit underneath the drainer part of the sink. Is £500/day a good price for labour ? He said as a rough guide it would take a day so I assume if it runs over it’ll be two days @ £500, which would make it £1,000. I’ll check that before I go ahead.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Is £500/day a good price for labour ?

yes it’s excellent as far a he’s concerned 😯
    Does the worktop to need a mitre joint cutting in? Or is it a straight worktop? That sounds like a carpenters job anyway. Is the cold feed already in for the dishwasher? I.e. a new for old swap?

weeksy

Ever wish you’d never replied to a thread.

Shit, if its too much, get more quotes. I know you don’t know me in real life but this is a good friend and great guy. I’m not sure the internet is an ideal place to be ripping what someone charges apart

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I’m trying to get a price from him for some more work, it seems that for a bigger job it’s only £500/day (plus materials obvs) instead of £80/hr plus travel.

Remember it’s a plumber’s day – 10 till 3, unless they get a little old lady with an “emergency”, which means 12 till 3, still at £500 a day..

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Sorry weeksy it’s nothing personal.
    I know plumbers are more expensive dahn sarf but I’d expect to pay no more than
    £200 a day for a gas safe registered plumber here in the Midlands.

Sundayjumper

Yes, I’m obviously getting other quotes, but I’ve already got a dialogue with Graham and he’s been very prompt at replying to my queries so this figure is all I have to go on at the moment. If I get other quotes around £500/day then that’s clearly the going rate and it’s what I’ll have to pay. If it turns out he’s taking the piss then he won’t get the work. Simples, no ? No need for you to get all defensive.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone recommend me a plumber in Reading ?’ is closed to new replies.