Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Can anyone recommend me a pair of clear glasses?
  • Fat-Lad
    Free Member

Preferredly vented and not outrageously priced 😀

Ta

Fat Lad

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Builders safety specs. I picked up three pairs for £10 at a building show. Unbranded, lots of smart styles, same as sunglasses really, fit perfectly, ventilated. They do the job for me.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bolle safety glasses – ebay is a good bet.

Olly
    Free Member

i "aquired" some safety specs, from a field trip.
    gave them away, but the recipient doesnt ride without them.
    shes had them for 3 or 4 years now….

bit like these,

Olly
    Free Member

wow, thats an awful picture.
    sorry

Del

bolles as TJ. about 6 quid. i'm quite fussy about seeing and a lot of safety specs distort at distance ( they are generally meant for close work after all ). the bolles are very good in this respect.

mountainchub
    Free Member

yep Bolles for me too – mine have a slight light enhancing coating too – screwfix for about £6 – £7

robgarrioch

Suggest ProBikeKits own 5-lens jobs, £16 the lot + a neat 'hard' case (clear, yellow, orange, blue + smoke lenses). Quality's reasonable for the £.

simon_g

Bolle Silium for me. About a fiver a pair, clear or smoke lenses.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Just bought two pairs of Bolle off eBay for £10

benman
    Free Member

Am I the only one who can't see the point in clear glasses? Everyone I know you actually wears glasses (in everyday life) wear contacts when they ride because glasses get on their nerves! Water / mud splashes affecting your vision, and steaming up on slow sections.

Or are they just another fashion statement to say "I'm a serious cyclist" like walkers wearing gaiters on canal towpaths…

*Prepares for the onslaught…* 😆

singletracksurfer

uh, so you don't get mud, grit, bugs etc in your eyes. Good/vented ones don't mist up.

You can seriously injure your eyes if you get something in them at speed e.g. branch. Doctor friends have said they've seen a few mtb'ers who've badly damaged their eyes.

squin
    Free Member

Aldi – £3 with 3 sets of lenses. Some of the best clear lense cycling glasses that I have ever had!

allthepies
    Free Member

Every time a stone/bee/branch hits my clear glasses (and they've all happened) then I remember why I wear them 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If I don't have glasses on my eyes water continuously – treat the glasses with hydrophobic coatings – bob heath visor spray on the inside and rainx on the outside and steaming up / water is not much of an issue except climbing slowly when I can take em off.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

+1 for Bolle. Available at screwfix. Keeps the dog poo out of my eyes!

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

I started wearing glasses years back when I used to commute – I used to get a lot of eye infection especially in Autum & winter – since wearing glases I’ve not had any – differing coloured lenses can help with depth perception and genral light contrast eg amber lenses for dull/overcast days – clear lenses for poor light & night riding – as others have set the stone chips in the lenses are better then in me

simondbarnes

Endura Spectrum

Shinythings
    Free Member

I'm interested in this too (so drop everything:-)).

These Bolle clears; what model/type am I looking for?

Oh, Del glad to see our concerns for your safety after Saturday were unfounded 🙂

Yetiman
    Free Member

I use Bolle Contours with clear and tinted lenses.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have bolle sileum now. I havve also used contours.

Go on the bolle site and take your pick – they have loads

Shinythings
    Free Member

Ta

Del

Jim,
    a close run thing….
    these are the ones i have
    or
    these look pretty good and come with a bag too
    if you see this and get a pair get another set for me? i'll split the post. could do with a spare set.

Northwind

Another vote for Bolle here, mine are BL10s,cost me £3. Not vented but a bit of Nikwax Visorproof stops them misting up. I like them so much I got a tinted pair as well.

As to why wear clear glasses… I have decent mudguards so spray/mud in the eyes is rare but I find that at speed my eyes often tear up, so these stop that completely. Maybe not for everyone but it really makes a big difference for me.

Shinythings
    Free Member

Will do, Del old chap

hugh_b
    Free Member

ess ice glasses, issued to UK troops, always loads on ebay. Balistic rated and come with a carry case, 3 interchangeable lenses, no fog cloth and head band. Very durable and comdy to wear too!

dobo
    Free Member

i got the clear endura ones, they look ok, but they do mist up a fair bit unlike my old spesh glasses i once had
    how do the bolles hold up to misting up?

Bolle Spiders – I've had them and the Silium's. They do scratch quite easily, but at £6 a pair, so what?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I use Caterpillar 'Tread' safety specs. They're very similar to those Bolle Spiders.

sherry
    Free Member

Glad I looked at this thread, Bolles for my winter specs then. Cheers.

Just ordered myself some more spiders off fleabay

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone recommend me a pair of clear glasses?’ is closed to new replies.