• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Jamz.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Can anyone recommend a road (sorry!) loop from High Wycombe? (30-40 miles)
  • Jamz
    Free Member

I will be travelling down the M40 tomorrow afternoon and thought I might take my road bike along to ride some of the decent hills around High Wycombe. Never ridden there before tho so has anyone got a loop they would be willing to share? Would like to get in a few of the bigger hills in but will probably only have time for 30-40 miles.

Any advice on where to head for would be much appreciated!

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

If it was me, i’d head out of H.Wycombe and follow along the chiltern cycleway south then head north and pick up the return loop.

http://www.chilternsaonb.org/cycleway.html

That way you’ll minimise the map reading as it’s all pretty well signed and get straight into some quiet backroads.
    Can’t say how many ‘big’ hills you’ll find that way but the scenery and quiet roads should make up for that.

Cheers

Dickyboy

Where exactly will you be starting from? Have a look at the the chilterns 100 sportive route & try & link part of that into a ride – it goes right past junction 6 of M40.

kayak23

If it was me, i’d head out of H.Wycombe

This…

Dickyboy

Plenty of parking at junction 6 of M40 at Lewknor, take B4009 towards Watlington (not an inspiring start) following Chilterns sportive route:-

http://www.mapmytracks.com/widgets/event-map/1703904/1703906

To include the better hills link across on Rignall Road towards Butlers Cross after the descent from Great Hampden – but that might be biting off more miles & hills than you want, if so there are plenty of earlier spots to link across to reduce the distance. I will be out there sometime tomorrow getting the miles & hills in 🙂

Jamz
    Free Member

Sweet, thanks. I was intending to come off at junction 4 and park up somewhere in High Wycombe but it looks like Junction 6 and Lewknor might be a much better bet then. Right next to Aston Hill too which looks to be of a reasonable size, not to mention a few others along the edge of the Chilterns there.

Thankfully I have GPS so no maps will be required!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone recommend a road (sorry!) loop from High Wycombe? (30-40 miles)’ is closed to new replies.