Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Can anyone recommend a decent set of snap ring pliers please?
  • DrP

Looking to service my forks shortly – I’ve had some of those maplins cheapo rubbish waste-of-time ones (with the interchangeable ends!) and they don’t work!
    I’ve had recommendations for decent brands of Allen key before (bondhus) which made searching the net easier.

Any brands you’ve used and could suggest would be great, ta!

DrP

rootes1

Halfords pro ones are fine.

or you wnat to spend more, any of the NON interchangable ones from a decent tool supplier..

Facom, Knipex etc

also search for ‘circlip pliers’ rather than snap ring…

jota180
    Free Member

Where possible use 90 degree ones, you get a much better purchase

I have a set of Knipex ones, quality stuff

LoCo
    Free Member

My Draper ones are better (wear and grip wise) than the posh Gedore ones I bought last year, the ones with interchangable ‘jaws’ are not very good.
    Will be buying a Knipex set soon as due replacements

RobHilton
    Free Member

Fine for my (limited use) needs.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Those draper ones are utter pish

+1 for knipex facom

Hell even the ones you get for a couple of quidare better than cheap interchangables like that !

Id rather hve 5 different pairs of cheap fixed ones than an interchangable.set

soma_rich
    Free Member

oooh I hate my interchangeable ones to. Always use them to service my Time pedals and end up swearing. Will go off and buy some decent ones now!

bigblackshed

Knipex.

RS Online

DrP

Rich – identical reasons (forks though, not pedals! I hate my draper ones!)

Will look at halfords and knipex…

DrP

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi DrP I woul have to agree that the pliers with interchangable tips are mostly garbage.
    The best pliers are a bit expensive but if you buy the correct size you only really need one or 2 pairs.
    The usual problem is people have pliers with tips that are too small. The ideal is to have a set of pliers with a tip that is a snaug fit in the eyes of the circlip. This stops them slipping out all the time.
    In the auto trade most folk are using snap-on pliers like these

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=636942&group_ID=676033&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

They work on internal and external circlips (snap rings dont have the eyes)

Just spotted these on ebay look like a copy of the snap on pliers with the movable pivot to use on internal or external. Various straight or angled tips and 3 sizes of tip. Seem a good buy at £12!!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MECHANICS-11pc-INTERNAL-EXTERNAL-CIRCLIP-PLIER-SET-PLIERS-1107-/330757734905?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4d02b281f9

DrP

So got the halfords ones – tenner a pair. Will see how they fair, but in the hand they feel much nicer and more secure than the naff interchangable ones!

DrP

DrP

Update….

Using the proper ones (halfords pro) as opposed to the interchangeable ones made the job infinitely (I have to exaggerate or I’ll die) better. Actually held the circlip when removing/replacing, rather than pinging off!

It’s the old adage – the rot tool for the job!!

DrP

stuarty
    Free Member

Snap on ones are over priced mince
    Doent open far enough on external circlips and want to flip sideways on stuborn clips

Facom are way better than draper

aP
    Free Member

Clas Ohlson is your friend…. ooh shiney (avoiding the tatt obviously)

freeagent
    Free Member

Facom, Knippex or Teng.
    However anything other than the Mickey-Mouse sets with inter-changeable heads would be an improvement.

smiff
    Free Member

which size knippex best for RS forks? 10-25mm i guess?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone recommend a decent set of snap ring pliers please?’ is closed to new replies.