Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Can anyone reccomend a good Sci – Fi book?
  • lyons
    Free Member

As above, i love some sci- fi books, but find most to be a bit rubbish really.

Favourites are 'The Forever War' by Joe Haldeman, and I am Legend by Richard MAthesson.

So can anyone recommend any other good Sci-Fi books?

bassspine
    Free Member

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

One of my faves is "Whipping Star" by Frank Herbert – and his "Dosadi Experiment" is excellent too

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Iain M Banks – The State of The Art. In fact any of his books!

j_me
    Free Member

Anything by Iain M Banks

Reluctant
    Free Member

A scanner darkly – Philip K Dick…..all his books were good.
    Tiger tiger and The demolished man by Alfred Bester also worth seeking out.

bassspine
    Free Member

Neuromancer.

Prophet2
    Free Member

The Gap Series by Stephen Donaldson. Get past the first book, the next four are top class. And the Hyperion books by Dan Simmons.

13thfloormonk

+1 for Iain M Banks, Consider Phlebas or Player of Games are both good starters, avoid Excession unless you're sure you like his writing!

Was looking for Tiger Tiger today in Waterstones, but didn't know the author's name…

Some interesting oldies if you can get them – Next of Kin or Prostho Plus (sorry, don't remember the authors, should be easy to find).

Fall of Moondust was a good Arthur C Clarke I read a while back, conventional enough survival story, but an interesting setting.

stuey
    Free Member

Stranger in a strange land – Robert Heinleim old classic ( just remember it was 1968)
    +2 for Ian M banks modern classics.

vinnyeh

Ender's Game is a classic, and most of the sequels are very good as well.

Richard Morgan's Kovacs books

RichPenny
    Free Member

Not read either of your favourites, but I'd read:

Rendevous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke
    Use of Weapons by Iain M Banks
    Neuromancer by William Gibson
    Clans of the Alphane Moon by Phillip K Dick
    Vurt by Jeff Noon – not strictly Scifi, but odd enough and ace!

coogan
    Free Member

Only Forward, Spares and One of Us all by Michael Marshall Smith

khegs
    Free Member

Depending on taste,
    Charlie Stross (Singularity Sky, Iron Sunrise, Halting State, Accelerando, Glasshouse),
    Ken Macleod (The Star Fraction, Execution Channel, The Night Session, Learning the World, The Engines of Light trilogy etc),
    Alastair Reynolds (Century Rain, Revelation Space series),
    Iain M Banks (Consider Phlebas, Player of Games, Against a Dark Background, Use of Weapons),
    Michaal Marshall Smith (Spares, Only Forward),
    Gary Gibson (Stealing Light).

All of them are very good, IMO, there are quite a lot of good British SF authors about as the mo (all of the above are Brits).

There are also the classic golden age authors, Heinlein (The Moon is a harsh mistress, Stranger in a strange land), Asimov ( the first 3 of the Foundation series, Robot series), Clarke, Philip K Dick, although the writing tends to be a bit variable.

David Brin's Uplift series is good as well, as is Greg Bear's Eon, Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy, Early JG Ballard, Neal Stephenson, William Gibson, Bruce Sterling etc etc.

I read an awful of SF (and anything else really 😉 )

Edit: forgot Jeff Noon, he is very good, odd Mancunian cyberpunk.

Joe Haldeman's sequels to Forever War are absolutely atrocious, btw, give them a miss

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

David Brin's Uplift series is good as well

I've just decided to re-read that 🙂

Jack Vance is good if you like cheeky dialogue

mikey74
    Free Member

I've just finished "A Canticle for Leibowitz" by Walter Miller, which was brilliant, and thought provoking.

alexpalacefan

I was immediately going to say The Forever War. Great book.

A

Garry_Lager

Jack Vance is good if you like cheeky dialogue

Gookin! Why do you lie amongst the cheeses? I see there's a dying earth tribute book just come out this month, short stories set in the Dying Earth universe written by all sorts of SF / fantasy luminaries.

I don't read as much SF as I used to so don't have my finger on the pulse of the field. That being said, China Mieville is exceptional – easily the most impressive SF writer I've picked up in the last few years. Perdido Street Station and The Scar are just outstanding.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Gookin!

I can't work out if this is good or bad ?

khegs
    Free Member

I'd call China Mieville Fantasy more than SF, but if you like him, try Steph Swainston, she is writing fantasy with the same kind of grungy aesthetic.

The new Vance tribute book sounds interesting.

lyons
    Free Member

Thats a long list… I'll start with some of the classics i guess. Like Phillip K Dick, and Ian M Banks…

By the way, totally different genre, but i would highly reccomend reading 'Charlotte Gray' By Sebastian faulks, I just finished reading it a few minutes ago. Brilliant.

clubber
    Free Member

I enjoyed this but and I'd agree with the suggestion above for "rendezvous with Rama" which I thought was great.

genesis
    Free Member

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

colande
    Free Member

brilliant!

crotchrocket
    Free Member

There is a lot of very 'obvious' and easy reading in those lists.
    try a real classic, a great storey by a truly great author who knew how to craft a great novel:
    'A Stranger in a strange land' or 'time enough for love' by robert hienlein.

emotionally and psychologically challenging but a strory a 15yr old could read. 😉

apologies for the spelling: too much blood in the winesteam….

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

'A Stranger in a strange land' or 'time enough for love' by robert hienlein.

unfortunately Heinlein turned into a prurient old man between writing these books

samuri
    Free Member

some great recommendations here.
    Personally I'd go for, in order…

snow crash
    consider phlebas.
    Necromancer
    The first ender's game, but the rest are not so good.
    ringworld

edit: and to finish off

'A brave new world' is interesting, bit not brilliantly written.
    Ditto 'farenheit 451'.

khegs
    Free Member

Heinlein can be a bit meh, to be honest, and he isn't all the great at characterisation, better than Asimov's cardboard cutouts*, but not fantastic. As SFB says, he did seriously lose the plot towards the end of his career, with his misogyny and "interesting" political ideas starting to get in the way of his ideas and stories.

A good writer for sure, and worth reading, as he, Asimov and Clarke were major influences on most of the writers that went after, even if they were reacting against them. He isn't a writer of the calibre of Ballard though.

*None of the classic authors were great writers, really, but their ideas and stories make up for it.

montylikesbeer

Consider Phlebas

its a great read

Northwind

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Heinlein for sure, absolutely fantastic, I think if you liked the Forever War you'll love this. And Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner.

And then the holy trinity, Red Green and Blue Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. Amazingly good. Lots of other good stuff already recommended, Banks, Stevenson, Ken Macleod…

Nobody recommended Richard Morgan yet?

WackoAK
    Free Member

Cities is Flight by James Blish is a very good read.

In fact have a look at most of the SF Masterworks series, lots of great books.

jond
    Free Member

IMO you can't generally go wrong with Asimov/Clarke – must admit I haven't read much recent sci-fi. Interesting to see Demolished Man get a mention, that was one of my favourites (tho' I found another Bester – Golem100 a little disappointing, mebbe that's just me…)
    Snow Crash is well worth picking up, if not for the corny joke about 'listening to reason'…

Tricone
    Free Member

I cant believe nobody has mentioned the greatest SF writer of them all – Stanislaw Lem. Anything by him is superb but try 'Solaris' or 'His Masters voice'.

67gingerbiker
    Free Member

anything by iain banks

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I can't really add much to that. However.

Peter Hamilton – quantum murder and others in that sequence,

Iain M Banks culture novels

Larry Niven Ringworld

Yardley_Hastings
    Free Member

i'd recommend "I Robot", think its by Asimov from memory, nothing like the rather pish film of the same name.

Obviously the hitch hikers guide, but I'm assuming you've read that already

Miggs
    Free Member

I have read most of the Iain M Banks stuff and its all very good – read Excession three times –

Try Greg Bear – The Forge of God – that was a truly apocalyptic tale!

bassspine
    Free Member

Stanislaw Lem's Cyberiad is brilliant.
    I'd forgotten about that.
    And thanks for reminding me about Niven. The Mote in God's Eye – awesome.
    Fred Pohl's Gateway is scarily brilliant.
    +1 this entire thread

Ceebug
    Free Member

As advised, anything by Iain M Banks (my favourite is Look To Windward). His new novel 'Transition' under the name Iain Banks is also great with a strong sci fi element.
    Also try the Commonwealth Saga' by Peter F Hamilton, a brilliant ongoing series made up of five books (four published so far) if you really want something to get your teeth into…

TenMen
    Free Member

Definitely +1 for:
    The Use of Weapons by Iain M Banks
    Neuromancer by William Gibson
    The Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson
    and
    The Legacy of Heorot by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle – it's like 'Jaws in Space'

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone reccomend a good Sci – Fi book?’ is closed to new replies.