Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Can anyone on here fix an iPhone 6?
  • bash
    Free Member

I thought I saw a thread a while ago that someone on here replaced batteries etc in iPads/iPhones. I’m hoping whoever it was may fix the damp things too.

Long story short my wife dropped her phone down the toilet and knackered it, Sent it for repair and all OK apart from screen still had water damage and constantly searching for a signal so didn’t have to pay for the repair. Tried to upgrade to latest ios and now it’s stuck in recovery mode or something!

Sooooo… anyone think they could sort it out without it costing a fortune?

jam-bo

Try wysiwyg

bash
    Free Member

That was the fellow I was thinking of,just sent him an email.Cheers Jambo

alpineharry
    Free Member

If it’s stuck in DFU mode, i think it is, you can just restore it, used to happen a lot if you jailbroke them.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

When you post it, send some latex gloves with it.

bash
    Free Member

Yep it’s stuck in DFU mode, how do I restore from there? When I use iTunes to load the software it gets the the firmware load part then gives me an error (1) which I think is a hardware error.

alpineharry
    Free Member

Hmm, not entirely sure, i think when i jailbroke my ipod it would sort itself out with a restore, although, i think you can download the firmware and install that yourself, i seem to recall doing that with my ipod. I believe there is more of a risk of doing this though. Just google iphone 6 stuck in DFU mode and you may be able to find something.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Don’t mean to be an @rse but if it wasn’t working properly after a swim and repair job trying to upgrade the iOS wasn’t the best choice. Seems to me it’s dead, chalk it upto experience.

simon_g

Apple will do an out-of-warranty repair (typically just replace) for considerably less than buying a new one.

https://www.apple.com/uk/support/iphone/repair/other/

£236.44 for an iPhone 6.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Only if they deem it repairable. My old 4S the wifi stopped working, they said it was irreparable, strictly speaking I imagine it was not economic to repair as it needed a new wifi chip. End of story, new phone purchase required. Quite rightly I can imagine Apple taking the view that drowning your phone is your responsibility and you need insurance or just to buy a new phone. I’ve been told phone manufacturers put a water reactive patch inside the phone so they can tell. Dropping phone into the toilet is quite common.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Can only be dried out if NOT turned on after its been in the swim…. Your ment to leave off and get stuck in a sonic machine to dry out. Now as water will be inside it makes lots of lovely extra connections on the board. Plus making the screen iffy and microphone/speaker etc… Either exchange with apple. Or sell as spares/repairs on ebay. Trouble is with water damage you never know when it will strike again as any water may still be in the phone to creep up again.

simon_g

In my experience, the Apple out of warranty repair program will take any amount of accidental damage (inc water) as long as the thing is still in one piece.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Turning it off isn’t enough – you need to take the battery off which of course is impossible with an iPhone.

gonzy
    Free Member

Don’t mean to be an @rse but if it wasn’t working properly after a swim and repair job trying to upgrade the iOS wasn’t the best choice. Seems to me it’s dead, chalk it upto experience.

+1
    bin it and get a proper phone…i.e. Android

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Apples batteries are imo one of the easiest to get at…. Or let alone open the phone. Youd be surprised how many samsung parts are inside iphones.. The screens are made by sammy for apple… Go figure. Batt dosent nesessaraly have to be disconnected to dry out the phone.

Go see apple if that way inclined and get a new one at least you aint one of my repairs owners with a 2 day old s6 edge plus…. 275 for full bonded screen replacement anyone.. Or 70 for the 6 and 87 for 6+ 🙂

Rockhopper
    Free Member

If the battery is connected then there is current flowing through some of the circuits inside the phone even when it is turned off. If you get water in there then the current flow starts corrosion. If you get the battery off asap then you stand a chance of there being no lasting damage. If its left connected for even a few hours then the chances are the phone will fail at some point in the future.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone on here fix an iPhone 6?’ is closed to new replies.