• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Can anyone identify this spider for me please?
  • teadrinker
    Free Member

Found this little fella in the shed at the weekend whilst clearing it out. Wasn’t sure if it’s a Euro garden spider or not? Lovely markings and very shiny, a bit bigger than thumbnail size if that helps.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Don’t want to get you worried….but it does look a bit like a false widow spider. If so, you might need to be careful 😯

roper
    Free Member

It looks like a female false widow, S.nobilis. Just concentrate on the false bit. They only have a mild venom and rarely bite. They are also great at keeping other, not so nice bugs, in check so worth keeping around.

sandwicheater

Derek. He’s a bit of a prick. Tell him he still owes me a £5.

MSP

Awwww, that’s a baby gargantuan face eating spider, they are cute when they are babies, but grow to about 2 foot tall and can run at up to 50mph when they get older, as well as being able to leap about 40ft.

teadrinker
    Free Member

He or she is more than welcome to stay put in the shed. Unless it is Derek, in that case he do one the dirty scrounger. Don’t worry sandwicheater, I got your back.

scaredypants

If you paid derek by paypal gift then more fool you – there are warnings all over the web

CountZero

Scaredypants = 😆

phinbob

It does look a lot like this
    Which is a false widow.

Philby

If its a false widow just be careful: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-29414450

roper
    Free Member

Also be careful of reading sensationalist headlines like the one above.

Drac

Yup false widow the new baby Robin of STW.

“Woman ignores infection in finger and has to have it amputated, oh and it just happened to be caused by a spider bite”

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone identify this spider for me please?’ is closed to new replies.