Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Can anyone help me with 160mm forks?
  • robdob
    Free Member

Ok I have a Pitch Pro with the standard Pikes on. 150mm back and 140mm front travel. Meant to be much better with 160mm forks but the all seem so expensive.
    I’d love some Lyriks but they are comedy expensive.
    I really don’t have much of a budget to be honest, so does anyone have any suggestions?
    A friend has some Marzocchi 66’s which are meant to be unreliable but you can fix the inherent problem easily as he has done. I’m thinking along those lines but if anyone has better suggestions let me know.
    Thanks all.

jedi

basic marz 55s

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

06 Marzocchi 66RC2x are ace.

ahwiles
    Free Member

basic marz 55s

… are the heaviest forks ever made.

how about some 150mm forks?

can you get your hands on some 160’s to try for a ride or 2? – to see what it’s like?

jonk

RS Domain, i love mine and simple motion control damping.

glynP
    Free Member

I,m selling 36 RC2’s for £380, 160mm of fixed travel and they are 2010 ones

seanodav
    Free Member

+1 2010 marz 55s

carbon337
    Free Member

Used lyriks, mine we’re only 350 and five months old. The coils are ace

jedi

i got both lyrics and marz 55s

messiah
    Free Member

I bought some secondhand 2009 Fox 36 floats for £350. Much better fork than a Pike.

fivespot
    Free Member

Merlin have Lyrik 170 DH solo airs going for £485 this weekend

Bregante

I got some lyrik uturns from merlin t’other week for under £500 when they last had a 10percent off weekend. Worth every penny IMO

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I prefer my 36 vans to my 36 talas, coil lyrik, air pike, and 66rc2x(?)

Northwind

I paid about £300 for mine IIRC, in absolutely brand new condition. They did then explode unfortunately, 2-steps 🙄 but they’re fixed now thanks to the seller. Lots of bargains on Lyriks if you’re patient. Especially if you can take a 1.5 steerer.

Personally I’d sooner have 36s but I’m more wary of buying used ones, and the new price is too rich for me. Yes I am aware of the irony of being afraid of Fox reliability yet buying 2-steps :mrgreen: But I can always coil them.

robdob
    Free Member

£350 too much really. 🙁
    I stretched to get my £1050 Pitch so £500 on forks is never going to happen
    Ok I’ll get money for the Pikes but there is a tiny mark on one of the stantions which will affect value.

messiah
    Free Member

Enjoy the bike as it is then. My good mate has a pitch and it really brought his riding on… great bike out the box. Keep the upgradeitus for when you break or wear stuff out.

Angry-pirate
    Free Member

domains are dirt cheap but are heavy and according to some reviews its only the 318’s that are worth having so your looking at 250 2nd hand, fox 36’s are hard to come by under 300 but 32’s are around the 200 mark, they only have 150 travel but given the choice between them and the domains id take the foxs

robdob
    Free Member

My good mate has a pitch and it really brought his riding on… great bike out the box. Keep the upgradeitus for when you break or wear stuff out.

They arent allowed to break or wear out. Ever.
    I think I need a harder spring in them so might try that first. I seem to blow through all the travel too easily and drops/jumps don’t feel right.
    I remember when top class forks were £400. They’ve just gone daft now.
    What’s the closest to some basic well damped 160mm coil forks. Don’t use my u turn ever.

carbon337
    Free Member

What about a Specialized e150 – a mate sold a set with the wheel for only 200, to someone with a pitch too.

robdob
    Free Member

Marzocchi 55’s seem reasonably priced on eBay. Seem to be loads of models though.
    Domains all seem to be tapered steerers.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Check Pinkbike. I got some freshly serviced 2007 Lyriks in superb condition for £210 off there- the kids who’ve had their ma and pa buy stuff don’t know the value of stuff.

55s- make sure you’re pally with the original owner or that the air ATA ones have been converted to coil.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Rob, you’ll get about £175 for the Pikes

Coil Lyriks sell for £300 or a tiny bit more, and if you’re going longer you WILL need the u-turn for ‘normal’ riding as it’s your only bike. Domains are perfectly usable, but you MUST get the 318 with MC damping and u-turn as otherwise you’ll be downgrading the Pikes too much and you’ll notice. They are bloody hefty too.

Belive me, my Lyriks made a big difference to my Pitch. Waaaay more than wasting money on a tarty gold stem and bars, put it that way. 😉

robdob
    Free Member

I won’t get that much as one of stantions is marked.
    I don’t know where you see these lyrics for £300, they are all knackered at that price.

The Domains look promising but they are all 1.5″ steerer tubes, grrrrr.

The Marzocchi forks may be more of a straight swap price wise, which I like. 🙂

Needed the new bars and stem anyway. Didn’t cost me anything as had some other stuff to sell.

I just sold a seatpack for £8 so I’ve nearly saved up for some new forks. :-/

seanodav
    Free Member

If buying 55’s make sure they are 2010, 2008-2009 are dodgy!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

To be perfectly honest, I serviced some 55SLs for Juan. They’re rubbish. Far too complicated. Too much to go wrong. Which they do. Keep the Pikes rather than get those, honestly.

I based my estimate on the damaged stanchion. I asked £195 for mine and people were queuing up for them

£300 Lyriks are quite common. I’ll start sending you the ads. Mine are Horas old ones, which I simply asked him to sell to me!

robdob
    Free Member

You might have got them cheaper if you’d have distracted him with a bag of chips.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There’s some 2 step air Lyriks £250 BIN on eBay right now

seanodav
    Free Member

55 sl’s pre 2010 ? if so they are totaly differnt

Bregante

carbon337 – Member
    What about a Specialized e150 – a mate sold a set with the wheel for only 200, to someone with a pitch too.
    POSTED 52 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

good call. I’ve still got my 2008 e150’s with a good quality front wheel, spare 25mm hub AND two stems 60mm and 80 mm. All in great nick, tf tuned and could be for sale if you’re interested???

robdob
    Free Member

Double post

robdob
    Free Member

Yeah but they are in St Albans collection only and the ad looks well dodgy! 6/7th min round trip!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sean, yep, but at the price Rob wants to pay he won’t be getting 2010 ones will he? 🙂

I’ve done well with forks this year., £75 Domains, £40 Recons.

I serviced them and more than doubled my money on them. Putting the £75 profit from the Domains with the £195 I sold my Pikes for meant I only paid £30 for the Lyriks…. 8)

seanodav
    Free Member

Yes you can get 2010-2011 zocchi 55 rv’s as in jedi’s 1’st post, for under 300 quid with 3 year warranty

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Rob, yeah I noticed that, but there you go, cheap Lyriks are about!

seanodav
    Free Member
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sean, 1.5 steerer = No fit Pitch! 🙂

And, to be fair, I’d take a used coil Lyric or Vanilla 36 over them anyway

carbon337
    Free Member

crc

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Theres some Fox 36 Vanilla RC2s on eBay worth watching too….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Carbon, QR 15, not 20mm. Come on you lot, try harder! 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone help me with 160mm forks?’ is closed to new replies.