• This topic has 35 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by alanf.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • can a new tyre not be round
  • kwack
    Free Member

Just bought a new conti trail king for the rear..mounted up fine tubeless and spinning the wheel it looks buckled..i know the wheel isnt buckled as it was fine with last tyre on..

Checking round the beading area it looks seated ok..

So can it be the tyre?

Pain if it is as i bought it off here new

Cheers
    Kwack

DaveRambo

Sounds like the tyre isn’t seated equally all the way round.

May also be that it needs a bit of time to regain it’s shape if it was stored in a squashed way.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Pump it up to 60psi and it should pop on properly with a couple of loud bangs. Then deflate to the pressure you want.

PiknMix
    Free Member

It’s possible that it won’t ever be fully true. I have an ignitor that has a slight wobble, it’s definitely seated properly and has improved with riding but it’s still got a visible wobble. It causes me no issues so I just ride it.

kwack
    Free Member

Reseated and will see how this looks….currently doing the old stans shake and vak

thegreatape
    Free Member

I have a High Roller 2 on the front and the tread wobbles side to side vs the fork legs, maybe 4-5mm. It’s definitely seated evenly and the wheel is true. Maybe it’s just some tyres?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Many tyres are handmade, and as such could well have wobbles. Apologies if this is all old news to you but:

Check you’re putting your tubes in when inflated enough to hold their shape [not inflated/stretched, just torus-shaped], twists and creases will cause wobbles.

Smear soap around the rim hooks/tyre before putting them on.

Seating tyres by putting 2-5psi in them and spinning them in your hand looking to check the same amount of bead/seam shows all around before pumping them up.

Sorry to contradict you here Jim, but I really wouldn’t be putting 60psi in a tyre until you have FIRST checked the seating. Yes it will settle, but if it’s hanging off somewhere there’s going to be a monumental BANG, especially if you’re inside!

kwack
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. ..i reseated it..inflated to 40psi as that ia maz it says on the stans rim..it looks pretty much the same..it is seated properly

When you look centrally and rotate the wheel you can see the central line isnt straight

Tyre is deffo seated thats for sur

Will ride it tomorrow and see if it settles

It just looks odd..

Kwack

kwack
    Free Member

This ia going on tubeless does that make a difference?

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Funny how every reply has been about a Maxxis tyre. I’ve got an Ardent that had a pronounced wobble from new.

colournoise

Conti had an issue a while back with deformed/deforming sidewalls. Had an X-King replaced by the UK distributors no questions when it showed the same issues as the OP.

takisawa2

I have a Nobby Nic with a bad buckle.
    Bought off here as new but had it in the garage for a year before fitting.

oldnick

First thing I thought when I saw the title was ‘Conti’.

I’ve had 3 wobbly Conti’s now, I’ve given up on that particular brand of German Engineering!

core

I’ve got a Spesh butcher up front, have run it with and without a tube, at various pressures and refitted it a few times, but it’s always had a definite wobble whatever. Wheel is perfectly true.

papamountain
    Free Member

I had a minion 2.5 exo that was bad. Refitted it several times, bead was seated perfectly all the way round. No amount of pushing pulling etc would fix it. Eventually returned it. The new one was fine..

Jeffus
    Free Member

My Highroller II has a wobble going on , but my Minion is dead straight , dont feel any thing when riding, both tubless on Stans Flowex

nevermindthebutter
    Free Member

Malformed casings are a common problem with Continental tyres. Had the same issues with X-King Protection Black Chilli which were unrideable (felt like the tyre was going to throw itself off the rim any second, dangerous at any speed) Given up buying them now…

kwack
    Free Member

Gonna see if i can get the receipt for it as the wobble is around 5mm which just looks plain odd when riding and nearly touches the chainstay

darkslider
    Free Member

I also have a Continental Trail King that has a definite wobble in it. I got given it by a mate as he had fitted it to several different wheels and couldn’t get the wobble out, I tried it and even 100% seated, fitted and pumped up properly it just plain old isn’t the right shape.

Stuck it on my old singlespeed dirt jump/skatepark hardtail as I won’t really notice on that, but it might just be the way some tyres are.

kwack
    Free Member

Thing is my front is fine..the rear moves laterally around 5-8mm and when you ride it does feel odd. Gonna see if conti will warranty it..if not does anyone fancy thia tyre

stanleigh
    Free Member

I’ve had a conti x-king that developed an ‘ egg ‘ as in a portion of the casing had stretched , so looked buckled even though seated properly.

In my own experience , conti x-king ( protector & race ) run tubeless have been absolutely useless .

I now use GEAX , which for me are absolutely faultless , running tubeless for general XC/Trail , at close on 16 stone !

thegreatape
    Free Member

So if you’ve checked everything and your wheel and the bead seating are all definitely ok, does it matter if your tyre has a bit of wobble?

kwack
    Free Member

I wouldn’t ordinarily..but thisa is a fair amount and you can feel it through the rear of the bike

Also why put up with imperfections when you shouldn’t have to

Hey if you want it you can have it for £30

thegreatape
    Free Member

So, since I also have a tyre that does this, if you’ve I have checked everything and your the wheel and the bead seating are all definitely ok, does it matter if your my tyre has a bit of wobble?

🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

My tyres are fine but I wobble. What then?!

chip
    Free Member

When I fitted a pair of conti travel contacts on my commuter the front one had a wobble that bugged me.
    So I stuck it on the back, still wobbled but I did not have to look at it so problem solved.

jamj1974

Had this issue with exactly the same tyres OP. I got mine from Nextdaytyres – I’m not sure but I’ve heard rumours of a problem batch of Continentals.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Ab-so-lutely.

What was the question again?

chip
    Free Member

So would all the leaders of the main parties have to be English,
    Because if a Scottish MP can’t vote on English policies .
    How could a Scottish MP be party leader and therefore we will never have another Scottish PM.

If you are not happy send the tyre back.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

^^^Surely this

David Cameron wants English MPs to decide on England-only laws as more power is devolved to Scotland.Shadow communities secretary Hilary Benn rejected this, saying more time is needed to discuss changes.But Commons reform committee chair, Labour MP Graham Allen, has agreed all changes must be made in “lockstep”.The Conservatives said they wa

needs removing?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Didn’t on-one have a big batch of dodgy Schwalbes that did this? It does happen and I would send it back, especially if it’s getting near your frame.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I had a rq that did this. Faulty tyre, send it back

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

munrobiker – Member
    Didn’t on-one have a big batch of dodgy Schwalbes that did this?

Hmm, that chimes with my experience of On One bought Schwalbe (Schwobbly?)Duranos. The tyres were very cheap but they were also clearly seconds (the external moulding was off too), which I don’t remember in the sales description – not being facetious, I may well not have read it properly.

Still, it’s not been enough to affect handling.

antigee

Swalbe Marathon on front of my CX been on for a couple of months and always had a wobble in it and I’d always forget about looking at it and reseating it –

out at the weekend and nearly lost it on an easy but steepish sharp turn and after thinking at first that it was possibly another sign of aging I promised to reseat the tyre the minute i got home – span wheel and chalk marked the bump and then saw the side wall had delaminated over about 5-6cm

Not bought from On-one but definitely poor quality control on a product I normally recommend – no idea where receipt is

antigee

an update ^^- actually got round to going and buying a replacement today and was a bit surprised to find that half the tyres on the rack for this model had a similar mis-shapen bumpy section and looked similar in roundness (or lack of) to the one that failed – with a bit of sorting managed to pick one out that looked ok

alanf
    Free Member

My mate had this with a Hans Dampf which wasn’t round on his big bike.
    Swapped it to the HT and it was fine one that. Maybe it’s not compatible with the rim in some way?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘can a new tyre not be round’ is closed to new replies.