Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • can a 26" rigid still keep with the pack?
  • rp16v
    Free Member

As titled I’m looking to do a couple of xc based events this year but at current I am still on a 27lb low end framed fully rigid giant with mid range components I could probably shave a good few lb’s by changing the frame or would I stand more of a fighting chance on a lighter weight 27.5 or 29er

I’m 5’7ish and find allot of brands dont go small enough to cope with my night so 27.5 might have to be the option unless something comes up

P.s this is not a troll

singlespeedstu

Any bike* can keep up with any pack*

*Within reason
    It’s more about the engine than the bike.

starrman82
    Free Member

what single speed stu said, but you’ll still be much faster on a 29er.

iolo
    Free Member

How fit are you?
    It’s got bugger all to do with wheel size.
    End of thread.

rp16v
    Free Member

I was hoping that was more of the case lol
    Going to take it for a blast on Tuesday and see how I feel I hopefully have a giant 27.5 xtc to dabble on within the next month that I can ride on the same regular trails to compare back to back

andyl
    Free Member

Well you can gloat over anyone you beat with a 29er or 650b and for those you don’t it’s your bikes fault 🙂

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

If its a rough XC course suspension on the front would make life easier.If its a tight wooded course the 26″ is just as quick.But open going 29ers are quicker.

rp16v
    Free Member

Ha ha good call andyl just use it as a point prover

Fitness wise I’m not to bad ride around 25 mikes 5 days a week plus some weekend sessions all at a fair pace

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

but you’ll still be much faster on a 29er.

Don’t talk shite. He’ll be fastest on whichever bike fits/suits him best, they all have advantages and disadvantages, 29ers can be faster but they’re not much faster.

rp16v
    Free Member

Been thinking on the subject for a while now
    If I were to stay 26″ I’d be looking at a frame change and new brakes as mine are on route to the bin anyway
    Weras the others would require a full new build with a
    budget of around £1500

Also could consider 69er ing or 2650b as there rigid fork has plenty of room to play with

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Don’t talk shite.

he’s not talking shite. I have been behind a few people testing new 29ers on reasonably techy singletrack and when I have eventually caught them up they are raving about how easily it rolled over everything.

TiRed

I beat 42/58 riders in a cyclocross race on a bastardised singlespeed rigid 26er last week. If you are fit enough, you’ll be fine.

starrman82
    Free Member

Don’t talk shite. He’ll be fastest on whichever bike fits/suits him best, they all have advantages and disadvantages, 29ers can be faster but they’re not much faster.’Don’t talk shite. He’ll be fastest on whichever bike fits/suits him best, they all have advantages and disadvantages, 29ers can be faster but they’re not much faster.

You obviously don’t race xc then.

taxi25
    Free Member

If your only doing a couple, and you enjoy what you ride use that. But if your asking will it be as quick as a lightweight 29er with suspension ? No it won’t, how much slower is impossible to say, is it worth the expense to buy a new bike, thats for you to decide.

yunki
    Free Member

the answer is yes

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m 5’7ish and find allot of brands dont go small enough to cope with my night so 27.5 might have to be the option unless something comes up

Who told you this? I know plenty closer to 5′ racing hard on 29″ bikes. Height has very little to do with wheel size. Just take a look in most of the womens races.

would I stand more of a fighting chance on a lighter weight 27.5 or 29er

Think about why you are entering? Podium shot? Have fun? Challenge yourself?
    If you can ride then you can ride, if you are fit enough to make a good showing on a rigid 26″ bike then you will make a better showing on a lighter 29″ bike. If you are going to struggle with the rigid 26″ weight etc. then a lighter bike will make it more bearable possibly not much faster.

Look at some demo’s or at least get on some bikes.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I race rigid, ss, 26’er because I don’t want to spend a whole lot of money on a new mtb.
    Have won a couple of Gorrick masters and vets races (only in the Autumn series though, Spring is a bit harder)

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

starrman82 – You obviously don’t race xc then.

Lulz.

Read what I wrote, they can be faster but they’re not massively faster and if it doesn’t fit you correctly or you’re not comfortable on it it’ll be slow as ****. Remove your blinkers, it’s the engine that matters.

I normally suffer an XC race a year and ride what most would describe as a classic 29er race bike, had an equivalent 26er before it. I was much more comfortable on the 26er at speed or when pointed down…but this might be Carbonz fear…doesn’t matter, end result is the same, when the 26er (the bike I was comfortable on) was pointed down it was faster.

Well done on the quoting there by the way.

starrman82
    Free Member

i was generally right then.. 🙂

rp16v
    Free Member

Well took the rigid out for a shakedown today rode really well and tracked nicley thought I’d chuck it on the scales turns out about 27lb…a bit porky tbh
    Poped into one of my local store for a nose and sat in the corner is a lovely charge duster skinny frame on sale in my size
    Wondering if this would build up into something nice

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but this might be Carbonz fear

I have no idea what the Carbonz fear is??? Why would it make you slower?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

i was generally right then..

You failed to make much of a point? You could maybe tell us all about your awesome racing?

Mike, it’s the silly irrational fear of crashing and wrecking yer beloved carbon bike…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ah so it’s a brain fault, sounds like your head is more of a problem than the bike

mtbtom
    Free Member

If you’ve got low-end wheels, I think you’d make more of a weight saving (and improve the ride) by upgrading there. Charge Duster is a lovely frame, but it’s steel (assuming your Giant is aluminium) so you probably won’t save much weight there.

Upgrading frames is always more expensive than you think too! In my experience you almost never manage to move as many components across as you think you will.

I’d enter the race on your 26er and see how you do. Just enjoy it! Save the cash until you’ve decided whether you prefer racing or trail riding and then get a bike to suit, if you must upgrade.

Just my £0.02p 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve often done really well on a 26″ rigid. As above your money is better spent on wheels and tyres..

rp16v
    Free Member

Currently have xt hubs on xc717 rims with nevegals but picked up my new xkings thisavo which I no are allot lighter and roll better so looking forward to trying those
    Spec wise I’m 1×9 straight steerer on bontrager switchblades so all will swap to whichever frame I want really

molgrips
    Free Member

If you are fit enough, you’ll be fine.

True but if you are looking to maximise the fitness you do have AND really want to spend shitloads of money on a new bike then it’ll help – a bit 🙂 Where I come in races (just behind all the fast pepole but in front of the weekend warriors) there’s minutes between each racer. If maybe you save 5 mins on a fancy carbon 29er over a clunker (which you probably wouldn’t) that might be one or two places. Are you going to be that much more pleased with 29/93 than 31/93?

Bike fit and setup are way more important, ime. Your bike has to be the perfect platform to put all the power you have down for 90 mins and not end up with a sore back, neck, knee, whatever. And it has to handle well enough to let you bomb through the singletrack and descents full speed. So £20 on a stem and some allen keys could save you more time than £2000 on a new bike!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘can a 26" rigid still keep with the pack?’ is closed to new replies.